The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: info on dohc swap!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    I wouldnt worry about the head gasket either. If I remember, people have been using the Sonata head as a substitution for the head swap. With that being said, I would imagine you just use one of those head gaskets....those arent discontinued

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

i know the sonata has the same head but dont they have a 1.8 liter motor though? they made a 1.8 a 2.0 and a 2.4 that all share the same block.
    Last edited by allrice4g64; 09-21-2010 at 12:06 PM
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    nor have you dont it so.....
    youve always been a dick. sorry my daily driver hasnt had time to be swapped even though every nut bolt belt etc is down if i wanted to slap on a stock head and i know what i have to do for the swap and for damn sure it will be done, but i am building my head and motor without taking the car off the road and making it capable of hold 600hp and be able to do what i want to do.

so in short, fuck off mitch

and skrap hasnt your head swap been underway for over a year now? and mitch your car took forever to do and it wasnt being driven everyday!!
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

everybody finish there cars and have one big race word!
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    youve always been a dick. sorry my daily driver hasnt had time to be swapped even though every nut bolt belt etc is down if i wanted to slap on a stock head and i know what i have to do for the swap and for damn sure it will be done, but i am building my head and motor without taking the car off the road and making it capable of hold 600hp and be able to do what i want to do.

and skrap hasnt your head swap been underway for over a year now? and mitch your car took forever to do and it wasnt being driven everyday!!
    I'm not being a dick you have know it all syndrome and its annoying when you give bad advice!

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    I'm not being a dick you have know it all syndrome and its annoying when you give bad advice!
    what bad advice did i give mitch?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

lots of v-sand in here. scrape it off and move on

yes the sonatas came with 1.8L, and 2.0L DOHC, the 2.4L is a SOHC motor and its found in the older sonatas(91-94) and it is a 6 bolt( very rare motor)

The DOHC versions are the same heads, the only differences are the N/A cams and that the 1.8L has smaller combustion chamber which make is perfect for high compression N/A 2.0L or 2.4L engines

The SOHC and DOHC blocks are not the same, I guess they had different casts. Just like 4g64 SOHC and DOHC are not the same. The DOHC block doesnt have the oil passages, so theres no need for passages on the head as well.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

see....what he said! LOL

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    this is so true. he plans on doing the headswap so maybe one day there will be a correct one on it unless me or rice gets to it.
    shit, i did the headswap a little over a month ago and it is AWESOME.

I've been busy as hell with work and haven't had a free day to get my 3" exhaust ripped out and replace with 2.5". I didn't know there was a demand for a DOHC swap tutorial. You can pretty much figure it out from all the pieces that are floating around, because there isn't one or two that say it all.

Also, I barely took any pics. :-(

All I can say is if you're thinking about it you need to drop what you're doing and actually go do it. Considering how inexpensive it is, and you can knock out an entire timing belt job at the same time, it's more than worth it. It's not just the slight power gain, but the entire RPM band is significantly more powerful as well. The car is A LOT more fun and gear pulls down empty stretches of road never felt so good. The powerband is a lot more direct than it was with a turbo too. I imagine if you turboed a GS swapped 7G you could probably take anything after you paid over a grand in tires, because shit, you need good tires with the POWA.

One surprise I ran into after I did it was the tach gauge. You need a GS speedo/tach cluster. There is no way to use any other tach. You can do the swap without one, you just wont be able to see RPMs ever.
    Last edited by peanotation; 09-23-2010 at 11:48 AM
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

pics or ban
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular

Im having a Kid... Nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    Im having a Kid... Nuff said
    i understand shit comes up man. my dad just went through a divorce and i got kicked out of my house last year and have been living on my own working everyday trying to make ends meet.

and matt, please post pics and maybe a couple things on rewiring for the new sensors
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    ok word, on monday morning i will post up all the details, and maybe write a quick little guide. it's relatively easy, easier than most projects i think, just a lot of little things to do, and i can't stand setting the auto tensioner on timing belts. i feel like i have to do it 20 times to get it right and even then the whole design just feels so sketchy to me.

i had the luxury of getting an official GS head, from DOHCStunr to be exact. many many thanks John..... had it surfaced, sandblasted, viton rubber valve seals, and everything double checked. had a couple stuck lifters before...

i'll post all the pics and everything on monday
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by allrice4g64 View Post
    hi people so just wanted to share some info i found out today. if anybody is considering doing the dohc swap better look into getting the 4g64 dohc headgasket soon i was on the phone with mitsu tday and they said there are only 6 well 5 now 4g64 dohc headgaskets left in the united states. jnz tuning and mapperformance get these gaskets from the mistu warehouses also so looks like they are getting scarse.
    Why not use cometic?

Quote Originally Posted by microgalant View Post
    Why not use cometic?
    you can

Quote Originally Posted by microgalant View Post
    Why not use cometic?
    i wont use cometic, my buddy went through 3 on his evo and another buddy blew one in his gst after like 2k miles. they switched and havent had issues since.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

i have kinda a bonehead question. why do u actually have to advance timing on the cams a half a tooth just because the 4g64 gears sit in those spots? so if the crank is at tdc where it is suppose to be and the cam marks line up where they are suppose to shouldnt it run fine? what is the cause that you actually have to advance the gears. your using the stock 4g64 dohc belt, the head is the same as a 4g64 dohc, everything is essentially the same. ya i know may be a stupid ass question but its been bugging me to find out why.

yes the 64 cam gears line up with the timing marks. the 63 gears wont because the 64 block is 6mm taller, hence the need for an advance

here
    http://www.4g64.com/users/raycer97/2g_parts.htm
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

ok gotcha ya know now that i think about it if i time my car with the marks a half a tooth advanced on each cam like im suppose to it runs to advanced and the cas has to be all the way to the left for it to run good. if i time it with the the marks a half a tooth retarted on each gear it runs the best with the cas all the way to the right sooo best case scenario i line the marks up not advancing anything and it runs good. how would this make sense.

i wont use cometic, my buddy went through 3 on his evo and another buddy blew one in his gst after like 2k miles. they switched and havent had issues since.
    I'm using cometic the whole time, running 20psi of boost, never blew.
    Once my car overheated due a waterhose failure, almost got into hot, well comectic is still alive...
    I had have a problem and I thought it was a problem with the headgasket, but it was a head problem, changed the head and no problem since....
    Last edited by microgalant; 10-01-2010 at 06:59 AM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12