The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dyno Results are IN!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 70
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

Dyno Results are IN!!!!

So its been a crazy 24 hours for me. I have been trying to meet up with my friend who tunes my car but its been very difficult because he is getting married in 3 weeks and doing all the last minute stuff. So last night he tells me that we can spend some time later at night street tuning it.

I meet up with him about 9:45pm, spend about a half hour in his driveway just checking my sensor values and feedback via the laptop and AEM EMS datalog. We confirm everything is working right and head to the highway service road. FUCK. They are re-paving the highway so ALL the traffic is diverted to the service road. So now we are just driving around at normal highway speeds checking everything and tuning small areas of the map to make it drive better at part throttle and in varying traffic conditions. So my friend spends about 15 minutes doing that and says, "Lets turn her loose" So we search and finally find an empty 3/4 mile or so of service road and do some 3rd gear pulls, we do a total of about 4 or 5 pulls, spending about 30 minutes doing actual tuning adjustments. We call it a night and go home. Im asking him how he feels about the car and this is what he says "This thing is making ALOT of power for the amount of tuning and boost thats into it. The car feels stronger than I thought it would, I wouldnt be surprised if your making in the high 300's if not low 400's at the wheels"

Next morning (today) i've got it in my head that I need to dyno this car just to get a baseline and see where its at. So I make a few calls and I am given a short 30-45 minute dyno slot just to do a few baseline pulls to see where im at.

DynoDynamics Dyno normal 1.15 CF (No smoke and mirrors manipulating #'s in the software to make the readings higher, I asked to see all the variables before hand, plus I know and trust these guys I have been doing business with them for about 5 years)

First pull (no dyno sheet or video) 440whp, 442wtq, 21psi, 93 octane pump gas, 11.8 AFR, 11.5 degrees of max timing. WOW WOW WOW. The car makes 440whp on its first pull ever with this setup. The AFR is a little lean for his liking, especially since its about 75 degrees out, but at night around here its about 60 degrees, my tuner was concerned it would go too lean if it was colder. So he adds some more fuel to the map.

Second pull, 432whp, 430wtq, same boost, same gas, same timing, AFR around 11.3 and stays nice and flat all the way thru.

3rd pull, 432whp, 432wtq, same everything as 2nd pull.

The car needs new plugs, the spark is unstable above 6000rpms and the spark is being blown out completely at 7000rpms. The plugs were also gapped a little too high around .028, they should be around .023 to avoid blowing out. Next week she will get RalliArt plug wires and new plugs, gapped correctly : )

All in all, I am very happy with the results, for the amount of time spent tuning, the amount of boost, the extremely safe AFR and timing and the car runs and drives well and its fun again to drive. I am also at a disadvantage still using the HKS 272 cams since their performance has been far surpassed by the newer cams from GSC and Kelford. GSC is going to be releasing a 2.4/EVO head specific lift/duration cam in the near future, im going to hold out until its available. With better cams, more boost and a little timing, this thing can easily do 500+ on pump gas. For me, im OK with the current power for now and will push it higher on race gas (to keep it safe) in the very near future. Vids and graph are below. Graph is cut short because it got all crazy with the spark issues. The spool is a little slow also since we arent running much timing, once we spend a few hours really tuning the car over again im sure 20psi will be reached around 3900 or so, now its about 4300 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    DAMN SON!! congrats
    you should post these on youtube so people can see the Galant's potential :)
    Last edited by beam514; 09-11-2010 at 07:53 PM

Nice work Stewi, seriously nice work!

Impressive. Congrats!
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Dam thats alot of power congrats!!
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

sweet numbers. are you going to dyno it at MOD?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Awesome blossom

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    You should dyno it a MOD show everyone in person how much potential a galant really has
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    sweet numbers. are you going to dyno it at MOD?
    I dont think so. They usually have dynapak's which require you to remove your wheels which is a PITA. Plus I have no shot of winning. I know of at least 3 500+whp EVOs going and maybe even a 600+whp 2g.

This car has soo much more in it but my tuner brought up an excellent point. I want to be at MOD, no two ways about it. I have been talking about it for months, at one point I considered going to the factory mod in Normal. We were going to do a full 3+hr tuning session next week on race gas and high boost, but im so afraid of having something break that I wouldnt be able to fix before MOD. For this reason, I am holding back for now. You can bet your ass a few days after MOD I will be back on the dyno going for 500+
    Last edited by Stewi; 09-11-2010 at 08:17 PM
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    I dont think so. They usually have dynapak's which require you to remove your wheels which is a PITA. Plus I have no shot of winning. I know of at least 3 500+whp EVOs going and maybe even a 600+whp 2g.

This car has soo much more in it but my tuner brought up an excellent point. I want to be at MOD, no two ways about it. I have been talking about it for months, at one point I considered going to the factory mod in Normal. We were going to do a full 3+hr tuning session next week on race gas and high boost, but im so afraid of having something break that I wouldnt be able to fix before MOD. For this reason, I am holding back for now. You can bet your ass a few days after MOD I will be back on the dyno going for 500+
    yeah i feel that. there were some cars at the last few MODs that were over 800whp... and then there was AMS's drag evo dyno run at MOD09 of 1100+whp. that thing was ridiculously loud and the exhaust burned a hole in the asphalt.

yeah baby the car until after MOD. it really has come out super nice and deserves to be shared w/ the rest of the mitsubishi owners and mitsubishi engineers/executives that will probably attend. great work!

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Wow awesome numbers, congrats.

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    iight!!!

I know you must feel great...nice read!

Great numbers I'm.curious though why did you go with a t3/4 setup over a stock frame evolution Turbo ie fp red black etc...
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Great numbers I'm.curious though why did you go with a t3/4 setup over a stock frame evolution Turbo ie fp red black etc...
    Because back when I started doing this setup the technology of the FP lineup of stock frame turbos wasnt what it is today. The turbo on my car is the same turbo I had back in 2004 when I did my first EVO swap, since that time, it has been rebuilt, received a different turbine housing and compressor housing. I have changed it a little at a time as I needed to. The other factor is I didnt want a ball bearing turbo. BB turbos are expensive, the FP turbos are REALLY expensive, and god forbid something happen to it, the CHRA cant be rebuilt. So your $1500 investment becomes a paper weight. I paid $750 for my turbo in 04' spent $450 to get a FULL rebuild, which was pretty much a new CHRA because it was on my EVO7 motor when it broken a piston and the turbine wheel and shaft were damaged, I paid $100 to have the seals replaced last year, I paid $100 for an anti-surge S-cover and another $100 to buy the backing plate and have it all assembled and balanced. So over 6 years I have about $1400 into the turbo. If I started with a BB or FP turbo I would be on my 3rd turbo at $1200-$1800 each depending on which model.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

congrats man...man i wish my G was up and running...maybe i should start looking for an evo engine. great numbers...wish i could see it in person.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

WOW Bro! Very impressive!! Congrats!
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

Nice numbers! So thats why you called me earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Because back when I started doing this setup the technology of the FP lineup of stock frame turbos wasnt what it is today. The turbo on my car is the same turbo I had back in 2004 when I did my first EVO swap, since that time, it has been rebuilt, received a different turbine housing and compressor housing. I have changed it a little at a time as I needed to. The other factor is I didnt want a ball bearing turbo. BB turbos are expensive, the FP turbos are REALLY expensive, and god forbid something happen to it, the CHRA cant be rebuilt. So your $1500 investment becomes a paper weight. I paid $750 for my turbo in 04' spent $450 to get a FULL rebuild, which was pretty much a new CHRA because it was on my EVO7 motor when it broken a piston and the turbine wheel and shaft were damaged, I paid $100 to have the seals replaced last year, I paid $100 for an anti-surge S-cover and another $100 to buy the backing plate and have it all assembled and balanced. So over 6 years I have about $1400 into the turbo. If I started with a BB or FP turbo I would be on my 3rd turbo at $1200-$1800 each depending on which model.

fair enough, that makes more sense, didn't realize the same turbo was on the car for that long. Again, congrats on the awesome numbers!!!!!
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast