The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Icon9 Help

I recently bought a 94 Galant. I absolutely love the car but on the way home from buying it, it started to chug when I pressed on the gas. I decided to fix it not sure that was a good decision. I have replaced spark plugs, wires, fuel injectors, distributor cap, egr valve and vacuum solenoid. I have put gas cleaner and have went through two tanks on that. The computer told me it was the egr valve and vacuum solenoid. It also spits out blueish tinted smoke from the exhaust. As long as I keep it above 2000 rpm it is fine! Please bare with me I am a woman but I really love my car and want it to run.

burning oil?

Yeah thats what I thought it was thank you not sure from where though. Its the rest that I can't figure out and neither can anyone else. It almost feels like its going to stall out out isn't firing right. IDK but I do not want to regret buying it and when its driving right I can already tell that I wont.

before you post another thread, tell me what code did you get. If its a 94 then you have OBD1 codes and the only way to check them is either to go to Mitsu dealer or do the flashing check engine light test.

These are all OBD1 codes, so tell us how exactly you obtained a code for "vacuum solenoid" and what is a vacuum solenoid. The whole emissions system has two solenoids: one for the EGR and one for the evaporation canister; the EGR also has a check valve.

And to answer your question in the other thread: yes the MAFs do go bad, but not w/o an error code/s/. It seems like your front O2 sensor is bad. Also, before doing any repairs to the car disconnect the positive battery terminal so the ECU restarts and reconnect when you're done

11 Oxygen sensor fault.
    12 Airflow sensor fault.
    13 Intake air temp sensor fault.
    14 Throttle position sensor (TPS) fault.
    15 Idle speed control (ISC) motor position sensor fault.
    21 Coolant temp sensor fault.
    22 Crankshaft position (CKP) sesnor fault.
    23 Camshaft position (CMP) sensor fault.
    24 Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) fault.
    25 Barometric (BARO) pressure sensor fault.
    31 Knock sensor fault.
    32 MAP sensor faulty.
    36 Ignition timing adjustment signal fault.
    39 Oxygen (O2) sensor fault.
    41 Injector(s) fault
    42 Fuel pump fault.
    43 EGR fault.
    44 Ignition coil (cylinders #1 & #4) fault.
    52 Ignition coil (cylinders #2 & #5) fault.
    53 Ignition coil (cylinders #3 & #6) fault.
    55 Idle air control (IAC) valve position sensor fault.
    59 Rear Oxygen (O2) sesnor fault.

This is how to obtain an error code:

Locate the OBD plug, its right above the gas pedal.

1. Ground Data Link Connector terminal # 1.
    2. Set the ignition switch to "ON", the Malfunction Indicator (check engine) Lamp will illuminate for a particular duration and a certain number of times.

EXAMPLES

No Codes--normal

The Lamp will illuminate for 0.5 seconds, then stay Off for 0.5 seconds, this pattern will repeat until the ignition is turned OFF.

Code 13

The Lamp will illuminate one time for approximately 0.5 second. This will represent one unit of ten. There will be approximately a one second delay and then the Lamp will illuminate three times for approximately 0.2 seconds with 0.2 second delay between deflections. This will represent three units of one.

Code 23

The Lamp will illuminate two times for approximately 0.5 second with approximately 0.3 second delay between deflections. This will represent two units of ten. There will be approximately a one second delay and then the Lamp will illuminate three times for approximately 0.2 seconds with 0.2 second delay between deflections. This will represent three units of one..

Clearing Trouble Codes

Diagnostic trouble codes may be cleared by disconnecting the battery ground cable for at least 20 seconds. Reconnect negative battery cable and recheck codes to confirm the repair.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

MKO,
    That is probably the best write up I've ever seen for pulling codes on the 94 7g's obd 1 system. You get told to ground terminal #1 on the connector but you never get an illustration of which location is terminal #1. I know how helpful that is because the first time I tried to pull codes on a 94 I spent hours tracking down which fuse I blew when I grounded the wrong terminal. Consider adding it to tutorials?
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL