The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: timing marks on dohc 4g64

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 71

timing marks on dohc 4g64

does anybody have a picure they could send me of there cams with the engine at tdc after a dohc swap using 4g63 cam gears. i got the headswap done and it runs but i think my buddy advanced the timing way to much it idles but as soon as u get on it. just pigs richs and bogs way out and there are like 3 teeth between timing marks. i car runs the best with the cas all they way turned to the right also. please help so i can actually time it myself this time alone and know its done right. this is what my marks look like at tdc.......
    Last edited by allrice4g64; 09-18-2010 at 02:33 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i thought u were getting the 64 dohc timing gears with the correct marks to not be in this position
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

was gonna ran outa money. i went out and retimed it and it still does the same thing so hmmm what would cause me to pull timing. knock sensor? something with the cas? it idles fine and when u rev it timing advances and what not just under a load it pulls down to 1-10 degrees and runs rich rich rich.

what CAS are you running?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

he has a 1g cas if he can adjust it.

Just set the engine to tdc remove the timing belt, set the exhaust cam to the stock position and the intake mark should be a half to one tooth above the exhaust mark.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

i am using a 1g cas the one that has the wires coming out of it not the one with the plug on it. i have the signal wire running to pin 88 of my ecu( camshaft position sensor) power to power and ground to ground and yellow isnt being used.

wouldnt the intake mark be below the exhaust mark exhaust goes counterclock wise to advance and intake goes clockwise to advance? thats how he did it.

so your telling me my timing has been retarted the whole time? i used this site for reference and as you can see the exhaust cam is about the intake cam.http://www.galanttuners.com/kb.php?a=64
    Last edited by allrice4g64; 09-18-2010 at 08:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by allrice4g64 View Post
    i am using a 1g cas the one that has the wires coming out of it not the one with the plug on it. i have the signal wire running to pin 88 of my ecu( camshaft position sensor) power to power and ground to ground and yellow isnt being used.
    yellow should go to the crank sensor wires when using the 1g cas you eliminate the crank angle sensor it runs off the cas, yellow goes to blue and i forget where the other two go there is a diagram on road race engineering's site on how to do it.

wouldnt the intake mark be below the exhaust mark exhaust goes counterclock wise to advance and intake goes clockwise to advance? thats how he did it.
    I have mine set where its above and the cas sits right in the middle, also dont forget that you have to use a timing light to set the cas or your ignition timing will be off for sure.

so your telling me my timing has been retarted the whole time? i used this site for reference and as you can see the exhaust cam is about the intake cam.http://www.galanttuners.com/kb.php?a=64
    try it and see what happens also get your cas wired up correctly and make sure that you have a RPM signal, it will run rich if you dont have that or the coolant temp sensor hooked up.

1996 galant s

ok so the yellow wire from the cas hooks to the signal wire from the crank sensor or to pin 89 of the ecu(crankshaft position sensor) the white wire hooks to pin 88(camshaft position sensor) and the other two are just power and ground. and as for the timing i will try that. i did look on road racing engineerings site and i could find where they explain to do the wiring.

as for the timing marks, you have to advance literally half a notch for both cam gears because you have the 63 gears and not the 64. make it where the marks line up with each other again and then advance the timing half a mark of each cam.

double check your wiring as well. hopefully wiring is the issue and you dont have to retime the motor
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

ok im so confused now so should i leave my exhaust cam alone and set the intake a half a tooth or so above the exhaust or does the intake go a half or tooth or so below the exhaust. and for the wiring i kinda need some help on that.

no. look time it all over. set the cams with the marks lined up as if it were a 63, then advance both a half notch. the intake cam would then be above the exhaust cam by a full notch because the exhaust cam gets turned down a half notch and the intake gets turned up a half notch
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

perfect thats what i was wondering no wonder it ran like shit my buddy had the exhaust above the intake so the timing was being retarted. and as for the wiring i have the cas wired right i do believe that the yellow wire from the cas goes to pin 89 which is the crank shaft position sensor the cas give the ecu a simulated crank signal and the white wire goes to pin 88 which is the camshaft position. now i have 3 wires coming out off my crankshaft sensor one is power and one is ground now which one is the signal wire i have a red wire with yellow stripe a black wire with red stripe and a solid black im assuming the solid black is ground?

i havent had to do the rewiring for the swap, ive just timed many 4g motors so when mitch gets on he will have to help you with that part. id say from everything else ive had to see wire wise so far mitsu didnt follow the norm codes for wiring. try solid black as ground, black with red for power and the other as signal. if that doens twork switch all but ground if that doesnt work call and yell at mitsu
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

ha ya i think i have it mostly covered now if i need more help i know where to go .once u figure it all out it seems so easy. the hard part is just understanding the wiring. it all seems so easy now though.

1996 galant s

so wtf would cause this to happen to my timing belt.

Pull the timing cover off and look

1996 galant s

i did and i took the belt off again cuz its got a hole all the way through it makes no sense only thing i can think of is the belt hit my hood cuz theres like a inch of space and i dont have a timing cover yet. on the inside of the belt there is like a wear line all the way around and theres a big chunk taken out of this one spot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast