The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63 in 7g

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    casper

4g63 in 7g

i recently bought a 4g63 out of a 93 talon to put in my 7g. from what ive heard most 1g blocks bolt right up to the 4g64 tranny. is this 100 percent true?

It'll bolt up just fine.

I hope you got a good deal on that '93 engine. If I'm remembering right it has all the headaches of an early model swap (no crank sensor, 7.8:1 compression and weak rods) with none of the benefits (avoiding crank walk, thicker 6-bolt rods).
    Last edited by eclipsh; 09-23-2010 at 06:00 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    yea it bolts up

nick is correct though about the 93 motor still being a 7 bolt with low compression and the smaller 7 bolt rods that we already have in our motors. now does the 7g still have a running 64 in it? cuz if so, buy all new bearings for the motor to eliminate the walk issue and its for the best anyway and maybe some rods and pistons for it. or bolt it in stock and hope for the best
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

casper
    Yup only paid 300 for the entire talon.

The motor in my galant blew about a month ago and i figured it was time to do a swap since the engine was out. I plan on rebuilding the motor tho before i put it in

well in my honest opinion, especially since it sounds like this is a non turbo talon, the 2.4 is better to rebuild, just do the headswap from the talon onto the galant if anything. the 2.0 will be so slow compared to the 2.4 as the 2.4 has more torque and power and the 2.0 you have offers no upgrades over the 2.4 single cam
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

casper
    yeah i get what your saying but i had no intentions on keeping it n/a for long. Already got most of the shit i need to turbo it just need an oil pan and some oil feed lines.

Is there alot of wiring when putting the 4g63 in place of a 4g64 or will everything be pretty straight forward?

Just use the oil pan on the N/A and weld a fitting onto it like I did. You can see it in my build thread. As for wiring, there are write-ups all over this site on how to do it depending on which year 7g you have, what ECU you want to run etc.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Proto
    Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    yea it bolts up

nick is correct though about the 93 motor still being a 7 bolt with low compression and the smaller 7 bolt rods that we already have in our motors. now does the 7g still have a running 64 in it? cuz if so, buy all new bearings for the motor to eliminate the walk issue and its for the best anyway and maybe some rods and pistons for it. or bolt it in stock and hope for the best
    The 93-94 7 bolt's are the least prone to crank walk, 95-96 are the most prone with 97-99 being in the middle. Also the trans will bolt up but will only use 3 out of 4 bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    The 93-94 7 bolt's are the least prone to crank walk, 95-96 are the most prone with 97-99 being in the middle. Also the trans will bolt up but will only use 3 out of 4 bolts.
    you are correct reg, the 95-96 got shit bearings and 97-99 bearings are like the evos but not as goos as the 1g 7 bolt.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

if you plan on using that head and turboing you are going to want to get it ported out and get a set of turbo cam's otherwise you are going to have flow problems. I think that the N/A valves might be smaller to check into it and if they are have it set up for either stock turbo valves or oversized valves.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    if you plan on using that head and turboing you are going to want to get it ported out and get a set of turbo cam's otherwise you are going to have flow problems. I think that the N/A valves might be smaller to check into it and if they are have it set up for either stock turbo valves or oversized valves.
    i know the stock non turbo cam profile is junk, but i never thought of the valves being smaller. hmmmm so he may have wasted 300 bucks
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Proto
    My talon was an NA orginally and I turbo'd it without a problem *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    My talon was an NA orginally and I turbo'd it without a problem *shrug*
    but that was a talon. the hassle of the swap then turboing it on top of it? i think its too much. i say rebuild the 64 and keep the 63 in case something goes wrong.

many 63 non turbos have been turboed but his really has no benefits compared to our 4g64
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Proto
    If his motor is done and he plans to rebuild the 63 anyways it's really up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    i know the stock non turbo cam profile is junk, but i never thought of the valves being smaller. hmmmm so he may have wasted 300 bucks
    especially when i got a turbo head, a 14b, o2 housing, intake manifold, and tbody for 175

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

N/a and turbo valves are the same, just cam profiles are different
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread