The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: is there a steering column upgrade??

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

is there a steering column upgrade??

my mechanic said i will need to change mine sooner than later so i was just curious if there is such a thing as a steering column upgrade? any information on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

no. the column, no. steering wheel yes. adapter hub for quick release yes. column no. maybe i'm not understanding what u r asking.

billet aluminum, +5HP

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    no. the column, no. steering wheel yes. adapter hub for quick release yes. column no. maybe i'm not understanding what u r asking.
    no you got the question. i guess what i was asking is if there was a better replacement for a stock steering rack. judging by the lack of responses i'm guessing no.

Quote Originally Posted by caribtokyo View Post
    no you got the question. i guess what i was asking is if there was a better replacement for a stock steering rack. judging by the lack of responses i'm guessing no.
    well the rack is a whole different part than the column... do you know what you need?

sry to thread jack but,,quick release hub?some one direct me please! kThx bye

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    well the rack is a whole different part than the column... do you know what you need?
    no i did'nt know that rack was different from the column and no i don't know what i need, he just told me the rack is going. since i will be doing a major rebuild on the car for next spring i might as well do everything steering related.

Quote Originally Posted by koji464 View Post
    sry to thread jack but,,quick release hub?some one direct me please! kThx bye
    Its the base of your steering wheel. Quick release mechanism allows the steering wheel to be disengaged in a fraction of a second. They look like this

Quote Originally Posted by caribtokyo View Post
    no i did'nt know that rack was different from the column and no i don't know what i need, he just told me the rack is going. since i will be doing a major rebuild on the car for next spring i might as well do everything steering related.
    ^^ Well if he said "the rack is going" i would guess he is referring to the rack & pinion. One of these V V
    Last edited by Joshua42007; 10-05-2010 at 09:09 AM

i know what they are:) but i have read that there are some issues with our compatiablility on quick releases...any 7g'r have one??

I looked into this a little a while back. I know the 2g DSM PS rack and the 7g Galant racks are listed under different numbers. I'm not sure if the ratios are different but if the 2g rack is quicker that'd be a nice bolt-in "upgrade." I know the 2g rack lock-to-lock turn # is posted up somewhere on DSMTuners. You can Google it and then go turn your wheel lock to lock and see which is quicker or if they're the same. I would but I'm away from the house and my car right now.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

thank you everyone for your feed back. i now have a better point of orign to do a better parts search.