The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Couple of audio related questions.

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Couple of audio related questions.

Hows everybody,

Im new to this forum and i have a couple of questions and I'm having a hard time finding the answers. I have a 2006 galant se. I dont have premium sound. What exactly are the speakers that are in the car right now? I know that the rear are 6x9s but what are the ones in the front doors? Also, i have a kicker 07S12L7 w/ the 750w amp. I had it from my previous car, i used to have a mitsu montero. But unfortunately, thats rip already. So i have this galant now, and i was wondering how exactly would i go about getting that sub & amp in here.

Since i have a pretty powerful sub (i think to my standards it hits pretty hard), would i need to replace the factory speakers? I heard that it would be a good idea because w/ a loud subwoofer, the bass would drown the sound coming from the speakers. I honestly think that the speakers are weak right now. With the volume up to 45, it doesnt seem like it gets any louder.

So here are my questions...:

1) Do i need to replace the factory speakers if i was to install this sub + amp?
    2) If i replace the speakers, do i need to get a new head unit?
    3) If i replace the speakers + head unit, do i need to get an amp just dedicated to the speakers?
    4) Is the galant se limited to only 4 speakers inside the car?
    5) What would be the best route to take for my situation?
    6) What are the differences and disadvantages/advantages of the 2-way, 3-way, 1-way applications?
    7) Can anyone please elaborate that "way" stuff?

Thanks a lot, sorry if its kinda long.
    Last edited by flipztarrr; 09-28-2010 at 09:33 PM

Welcome to TGC, So first of all....

1.You dont have to replace stock speakers but its gonna sound terrible if you dont.
    2. If u replace speakers u dont need new H.U but u wont have much difference if u keep it stock.( Its better to get new H.U for ur Sub an amp anyways.)
    3. An amp for ur aftermarket speakers would make everything sound much better.
    4. U only have 4 stock spots for speakers in ur G, but u can easily change that.
    5. Ur best route is gonna depend on how much money u wanna spend an search the internet for good deals.
    6 & 7. Differnence is 1,2,3,and 4-way speakers are a 2 way will typically have a small woofer cone an some type of tweeter an a 4-way will have small cone with 3 tweeters on it (Bassically) an a 3-way would have small cone with 2 tweeters...
    2001 Mitsubishi Galant-Totalled..=(
    1987 Cheverolet IROC-Z Camaro-TPI 350
    1989 Nissan 240sx-built SOHC-Trade for Honda
    1999 civic Hatch B20vtec- current
    Lookn for galant to build. .

Thanks! That definitely cleared a lot of things up. So heres another question... Does it mean that the higher the "way" the better the sound quality? And how do i know how many watts or whatever i would need for speakers?

Simply becuz a 4-way has more than a 3-way doesnt mean it will sound better...Its gonna depend on the brand Like Boston acoustic or Alpine(<<Winners) vs. a Sony speaker...An the speakers are gonna be rated in RMS an Max..U want an amp to put out right at RMS of the speakers or even a lil more an tweek ur amp, This is to get the best quality for the speaker.

I see. Is there a specific website that you would recommend? And how would i replace the head unit if the console thingy of the galant has a weird lay out? Doesnt look like it can accomodate a din or double din application...

I'm running two 12's on a 500watt amp along with all the stock speakers. I do have an aftermarket deck but other than that the other speakers work fine.

Google some sites...Crutchfield is usually Way too high priced, mite wanna look on ebay..its all the same stuff. An about the head unit, U should be able to find a dash kit for it

2 Felix: No offense man but I doubt 2 12's on a 500w amp is even close to an L7 on a 1500w kicker amp.

So to get the best sound from my speakers i should get a h/u and an amp for aftermarket speakers? Hmm...

Thats gonna sound the best Yess...You dont have to tho...But if u turn ur bass amp way up then ur gonna have all Bass in there.

i have a 2006 galant as well and im looking to get aftermarket speakers and subs but i dont know what kind of amp to get as far as how many channels i need. i will be replacing 4 speakers (2 in front and 2 in the back) and adding 2 12" subs can anyone help please!

I honestly think the best way would be to speak to customer service rep with the company or website you plan to make your purchase from. I myself am having a hard time deciding what amp/speaker combo would be sufficient for my satisfaction lol. My last set up wasnt too bad though, i got 4 speakers, head unit, sub, and an amp FOR the sub. I didnt get an amp for the speakers and they worked fine. Im just not sure about how the amp affects the speakers....is it for higher output? or better quality?

I know this is late to move it but why is this in the tutorial forum? Moving now...

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Another question.....Are capacitors necessary? I spoke to customer service and they recommend me getting a cap this way theres less stress on the battery and alternator. They told me that if i have any power deficiencies resulting from my car stereo they recommend changing a few things in this following order:

1) Capacitor, if insufficient, replace (2) battery, if its still insufficient, replace the (3) alternator. So basically capacitor---> battery---> alternator.

I've read a couple of reviews and according to the customers who purchased a cap, it moderately improved sound output of their system.

Then i googled if i needed a cap and found mixed answers. People said that its useless and not needed and is just a gimmick.

Now im not to sure about what i should do.

Heres what im looking to add to the car:

Kicker zx750.1
    Kicker 06s12L7 (one sub)
    Kicker zx350.4 (please tell me if these are insufficient for the speakers below)
    Kicker KS50.2 (pair)
    Kicker KS690 (pair)
    Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Caps are debatable as venting or not to vent with a BOV... IMO a cap should be the last thing you do to a proper system and even then a 1 farad cap won't help you by much... better to start of upgrading the Big 3 and if that don't work upgrade the battery and then HO alty... then consider a 25 farad cap...

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...