The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Strange rattle/clunking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

Strange rattle/clunking.

Well, I've read through a few threads but didn't seem to find anything pertaining to this noise. Whenever I go over bumps, or the road is rough I hear rattling and clunking coming from the driver side wheel well. It sounds like something is loose or some thin piece of metal is hitting another thin piece. I recently replaced my axles, inner and outer tie rods, and rotors. I checked to make sure nothing came loose, and well..nothing is loose. I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from and I can't replicate the noise when the car is jacked up. I'll try and have a video posted tomorrow evening, but any suggestions now would help.

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

check your end link/stabilzer link "what ever you wanna call it" you might need a new set. are you drop on megan coilovers? If your on megan coilovers welcome to the club...hahaha... you need adjustable stabilizer link to correct the links.
    Last edited by zobgel; 09-29-2010 at 03:05 AM

TURBO= in the making.......

I seem to have a constant problem with this. Does the noise stop on the bumps when you're braking. If so, I know the fix

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

It's probably zogbel said check your sway bar links and stabilizer links it's easy to check just turn the wheel all the way to one side so your able to get a better view.

My end links are also about 2 months old. I replaced them with the tie rods and everything it slipped my mind I should have said that in the original post sorry. Do you think they could be bad already? I'll have to double check them, but everything seems normal. Everything is tight and all the bushings are in good shape. Keith, I'll have to double check that. Thanks guys.

My guess is the top middle nut thats holding down the spring to the top "hat" of the suspension. It may have backed out a little, causing your suspension to have extra play and causing the clunking sound

I checked those also and they were tight lol I just can't seem to find where it's coming from. Everything is tight nothing is out of place and it seems nothing has changed that I can see. When I get the video up at least It will clarify the sound. Oh and Zobogel, I'm dropped on megan springs. What's wrong with the coilovers? Just a really rough ride? lol.

Does it mostly come when you are riding over rumble strips or a bad patch of road? It doesn't come when you go over normal speed bumps? I used to get a bad rattle when my ball joints were bad.

It's not present over speed bumps but I'm going slow. When I go over a bad road or a bad enough hole or bump in the road it makes the noise. Driving to school though I checked and the noise doesn't seem to be as bad when I'm braking over the bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepsascend View Post
    I checked those also and they were tight lol I just can't seem to find where it's coming from. Everything is tight nothing is out of place and it seems nothing has changed that I can see. When I get the video up at least It will clarify the sound. Oh and Zobogel, I'm dropped on megan springs. What's wrong with the coilovers? Just a really rough ride? lol.
    I really like my megan coilovers except the stabilizer link mounting point is little bit off, thats why you need adjustable links to correct them but other than that megan coilovers are nice. I remember stewi he wrote something about that isue before.
    Last edited by zobgel; 09-30-2010 at 01:26 AM

TURBO= in the making.......

Yea Im having the same problem, at first I thought it was coming from the dash but I cant seem to find anything in there that would make this rattle. Im going to be checking the suspension components this weekend. Its really bugging me.

I have the same damn noise...cant find it...thought it was inside at first just like you...let me know if you find it
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

Keith told me to put some brake lube on the caliper bolts so I'm going to do that tomorrow and see what happens.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    You should of done that from the start rookie lmao

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
    I have the same damn noise...cant find it...thought it was inside at first just like you...let me know if you find it
    On top of the dash right beside the VIN plate is a little removable panel. Remove that and take it for a spin and see if you get the same rattle. I took mine and I think its gone.

On those brake pins, I had a little clunk noise coming from my passenger brake caliper, I lubed the pins and it seemed to help.

I did the same thing but I found that one of the bolts was loose. I tried tightening it up and it would get tight then come loose. I got a new bolt and the same thing happened so I need a new caliper bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Stepsascend View Post
    I did the same thing but I found that one of the bolts was loose. I tried tightening it up and it would get tight then come loose. I got a new bolt and the same thing happened so I need a new caliper bracket.

Are you talking about the actual caliper bracket, or dowel pins? Two bolts screw into the pins. Then you have 2 bolts that hold the whole assembly onto the axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob21 View Post
    On top of the dash right beside the VIN plate is a little removable panel. Remove that and take it for a spin and see if you get the same rattle. I took mine and I think its gone.

On those brake pins, I had a little clunk noise coming from my passenger brake caliper, I lubed the pins and it seemed to help.
    I think I will try that tomorrow

GRRRRRR ok removing that little panel beside the VIN didnt do anything for me. Back to the drawing boards. Its bugging me bad, i've checked and checked and checked the dash so many times but I cant find anything loose. I guess i'll wait until i install springs to double check suspension. its so weird, i can hear it clear as day and it sounds like a loose plastic panel somewhere, but i cant find it for the life of me!

I think it may be the fender well, I am going to check that tomorrow too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast