The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Strange rattle/clunking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29
    Yea im going to go back into the fender well and check everything. I plan to pull the strut assembly out and double check that also. just installed new struts so maybe something didnt go back together right.

OP, update on the bracket?

found my rattles, Under the car the front bumper has 2 tabs that hold it on with reddish maroon clips. both clips are loose and rattle like crazy.

The inner fender well is connected to a plastic splash shield on both sides by 3 plastic clips
    both of those splash shields were rattling like crazy.

Took out the red clips and nutted and bolted them with big washers,

unbolted the splash shields and put a strip of dynomat under them then bolted them back on

car is completely quiet now.
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

Found mine too........freakin shop didnt re-assemble my front left strut/shock assembly correctly. A piece of sheared washer got in b/w the upper spring seat and upper shock mount. It was causing metal to metal rub and was causing that rattle. Had to order a new upper spring seat b/c the hole became elongated from driving. Just some good info to be aware of.

I have another one now, only when the car is cold... when it's cold and I stop with my foot on the brake and the car in drive there is this horrible really loud rattling, when I put it in reverse it goes away completely, when the car warms up say (by the time I get to work) It doesn't do it anymore either.
    It is soooo bad it feels like something is going to break lol.

had a similar problem it turned out it was my strut mount that was bad as for a rattle in the dash my dash is cracked and my cluster is set in by one top screw nothing in there made a rattle hopefully this helps.

ok so I finally figured out what it is, My motor mounts were shot. the rear one was completely destroyed, the front one was cracked, I changed the upper one just for good measure. now the tranny mount under the battery tray is making a bunch of noise when the car is idling in gear. I also have some sort of noise in the passenger side front somewhere that sounds like something is rubbing when I accelerate. when I reach cruising speed it goes away.
    the tranny mount is on 4 studs, problem is I cant remove it because it because I cant get the tranny to drop low enough for me to slide it up off of the studs. it hits the fender. so I have to figure that out....
    then the rubbing noise when I accelerate...
    then I'm all good.

im having the same problem with the tranny mount, let me know how you do it. It really rattles at idle

I am thinking about using the two nut method to extract the studs so I can slip out the mount. one stud came out by accident when I tried to do the mount last time but I didn't have enough time to complete the job.
    the only other way I can think of that may work would be to take the axle out and loosen up the motor mounts so the "package" can drop low enough to remove the mount with the studs still in.
    I will have to mess with it this week.

Ok so follow up... Have now changed the transmission mount and both motor mounts, checked the strut towers...splash shields, axles, vin plate...clips that hold the bumper on and every thing else it could possibly be. couldnt replicate it with the car on a lift...until... I decided to try to spin the wheel with someone holding the other wheel.... Turns out the clunking noise is the differential in the transmission. sounds like something is loose and when I accelerate it almost sounds like a pop...like something is smacking against the floor board, I can feel it in the floor now. Looks like I'm going to have to build a tranny. since my last time on here the paint has gone to hell and the tranny is shifting like a champ but the diff is shot inside. I'm not suprised, clocked 150,000 miles on the original motor and tranny yesterday. think I'm gonna change the tranny and paint it then drive it for another 150,000 miles.
    just thought I'd let you all know what it finally turned out to be, and that I still have my Galant...and it still runs strong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12