The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4G63 SOHC AWD vs Eclipse

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

4G63 SOHC AWD vs Eclipse

Hello to all.

My name is Leo and I am into Eclipses. I drive a GSX and have plenty of parts from my builds. I was wondering if I can use them into a SOHC 4G63 galant.

I've read a lot through the site but didn't find exact answers to my questions. It seems that converting from Galant SOHC to Galant DOHC is smooth and easy (the heads are interchangeable). But how about Eclipse head?

my questions are:

1. What are the differences between SOHC 4G63 block and the Eclipse block (7 and 7 bolt)

2. Can I get a head and pistons from an Eclipse 6-bolt or 7-bolt (which one) and put them onto the SOHC block. Also will the rods from 6 or 7-bolt eclispe fit on the SOHC block

3. Can the entire engie be swapped with an Eclipse engine? What I wonder is will the tranny fit the eclipse block or they are different. The transmission on the galant is w5m31

Thank you.
    Leo

Experienced TGC Member
    Can you tell us which galant youre talking about? Also w5m31 doesnt sound right for a galant (atleast the 7g) unless its awd.

It's this one (sixth generation)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...xth_generation

It is a 4G63 SOHC All-Wheel-Drive.

They made a 63 in a galant? they made a 63 sohc? They made a awd galant and its not a vr4? mitsubishi is really wierd.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

I guess so :)

There are even DOHC AWD models, but with the later 4G63 (like eclipse) again non-turbo...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allrice4g64 View Post
    They made a 63 in a galant? they made a 63 sohc? They made a awd galant and its not a vr4? mitsubishi is really wierd.
    they did haha just not for our years. there was the SOHC AWD which i dont remember if it was still considered a galant gsx but i know the DOHC AWD 6th gen was call a galant GSX. then of course the vr4

alright, the heads are all interchangeable. any 4g6x head will go on any 4g6x block some with more modification than others. now it is true a DOHC is much better and worth while to do. now is your single cam an 8 valve or 16 valve?

you may be better off swithing a non turbo dohc 63 in in if you can find one for a good deal or even a 4g63t.

differences in the block will be minimal, maybe a couple oil passages the SOHC uses that the DOHC doesnt like we encounter on our 64 blocks.

all 7 bolt turbo and non turbo rods are the same. the non turbo pistons have a 9.0 compression ratio with the DOHC so those are fine

and your tranny is fine as all the blocks use the same bolt pattern for the tranny
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

1G's and 6G's have a diffrent motor mount set up than a 2G eclipse/7G. you can get the tranny on the block fine, but the mounts that hold it to the car are different

what year eclipse are you trying to swap from?

the general rule is it's almost a direct swap between a 1G to 6G and 2G to a 7G

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    1G's and 6G's have a diffrent motor mount set up than a 2G eclipse/7G. you can get the tranny on the block fine, but the mounts that hold it to the car are different

what year eclipse are you trying to swap from?

the general rule is it's almost a direct swap between a 1G to 6G and 2G to a 7G

i wrote all of that not even thinking of it possibly being a 2g. but i should have asked that question haha
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    i wrote all of that not even thinking of it possibly being a 2g. but i should have asked that question haha
    i got you chris, don't worry

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

That's some good news that heads are interchangeable, but i will just throw in the long block of the 1G Turbo eclipse. My Eclipse is a 2G but with a 1G 6-bolt motor and I have done an engine job with forged internals so I have a lot of stock 1G parts.

I found pictures of the headgaskets of 1G Eclipse and 6G Galant. They are the same in dimensions but the SOHC headgasket has like only half of the oil/water passages. I will post a picture of the two compared next week because it is on my work laptop.

I will use the Galant tranny and put in a 1G eclipse block, ECU and wiring harness So I will get something like a 1G GSX Eclipse in 6G Galant body. Only the tranny will be different. Do you know what the front/rear wheel ratio is on that galant?

no idea on the wheel ratios, but i know that if you swap to a 1g tranny you need to change the rear diff so just stick with the stock tranny.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Well the plan that stands out for now is just to drop in 1G Turbo engine, harness and ECU and drive it like that. I will not change the tranny for now. I think it may be like the 1G AWD non-turbos sold in Europe. They are 60-40 or 70-30 to the front...at least they have a less stiffer viscous coupler and smaller in sise (slimmer)