The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    Skitt2112

Icon5 Help?

I just got my 94 galant ES and I've noticed some problems that I'm trying to work out. Some of them I think I can fix just by what I've seen in the forums but some I haven't seen any post for.

Problem one that I'm trying to clear up is when I take off from a dead stop my car vibrates and rattles pretty bad then around 30 or so mph it stops. I was told maybe it was a loose exhaust hanger or a motor or tranny mount needed to be replaced.

The other thing I've noticed is at a dead stop my car will idle EXTREMELLY low. Like 200 rpm low. There are five ticks on my tachometer between the 1000's and it's idling on the first tick so i'm guessing 200 rpm. But after i've run it for 20 or 30 minutes it idles at the 800 or so mark when at a stop.

There's also some other things wrong with it but I cant think of them off the top of my head right now. Any ideas would help.

God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Skitt2112
    I read through that post but mines idling really low rather than high but I'll check it out when I have a chance. Thanks. Btw any thoughts on the rough vibrations?

Loose exhaust hanger would most likely only cause a rattle. Unless the whole exhaust system was hanging on by a thread there should not be enough mass to cause the car to vibrate. While under the hood, raise the the engine rpms and watch for excessive engine vibration or looseness. Vibration makes me think about tune up stuff, looseness make me thing of a bad motor or trans mount. If things under the hood are fine then look at wheels/tires and suspension components.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Skitt,
    RE: the link to WIERD IDLE from MKO. Originally my car was idling too low especially at start up. If I did not keep my foot on the gas and keep it reved up it just died. I temporarily "fixed" it by adjusting the accererlator cable so it pulled tension on the throttle plate. FYI: The throttle cable is suppose to have 1-3 mm of deflection and not suppose to pull any tension on the throttle plate until the gas pedal is stepped on. My fix just made it so I could drive the car while seeking assistance on the Galant Center.

MKO correctly diagnosed my problem as a bad Fast Idle Air Valve (FIAV). The various sensors in the car, especially those on the throttle body, have an amazing amnount of control on how things operate.

One last though when posting. If your thread title describes the problem instead of just saying "help" you might get more attention. Describing the problem in the title also assists others searching for information for similar problems.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Skitt2112
    I replace the motor mount thats on the left side (left from the front of the car) But I haven't checked any others.

And I'm sorry I should have realized that when I created the thread.

I'll check out the FIAV and mounts and such when I get off work tomorrow and post back. Btw I've also noticed that right when I start it up and drive it when it shifts it feels like. Idk it's hard to explain but when it shifts gears it revs the rpms up until the next gear kicks in. Kinda like if your driving a manual and depress the clutch to shift without letting of the gas would rev it.
    I've checked all the trans fluids and they're all good. Any idea's. And i'm sorry if i'm bugging you guys about it, I'm still learning and trying to sort these things out. Lol
    I'm just hoping my trans isn't about to go out next, But on the plus side if it is then I'll HAVE to get that 5spd swap started.

TGC Regular
    Its the FIAV... Very Very Very common problem

hey check you suspension. i have the same problem
    it might be your control arms fucking up
    get them replaced
    just put it on a lift and check the bushings too

Skitt2112
    I pulled and cleaned the MAF and the TB today so I'm going to wait till morning to start it up to see if it fixed it or not. I don't think it did cause driving it home it still idle at 200 rpm's when I was stopped in drive but we'll see in the morning.

I also need to replace the belt cause it whines bad when I start it up.
    And thanks I'll check the suspension when I have a day off which I think is wednesday, I'll also get around to checking the exhaust then too. It's gotta be one or the other cause the motor/tranny mounts are all good.

Skitt2112
    Cleaning the throttle body and the mass airflow sensor didn't work. Its still idling low. So i'm going to see if maybe I missed something.

Skitt,
    I am more of a shade tree mechanic but this is what I'd do in your situation. Mark the position of the throttle position senor (TPS) on the throttle body so you can return it back to where it was before you started messing with it. Now loosen (do not remove) the mounting bolts enough so you can move the TPS. Now move it either closkwise or counter clockwise just a little bit ans secure the mounting bolts. Start you car and see what happens. Repeat until happy with results or return TPS to where it was before you started messing with it. In my experience, small changes make big differencesin engine operations. Yu will have to test drive the car after making changes to ensure the improvement works accross the full range of RPMs; one setting will have a great idle but run like crap at higher RPMs. Do your test drives away from traffic as car can run very finicky when playing around with the TPS.

Here are the proper instructions for doing it as provided by MKO under the thread "Wierd Idle." There's closed throttle position switch inside the TPS and its a major PITA. So between pins 3 and 4 you put an ohmmeter and turn the TPS slowly until you have 0 ohms. It will snap to zero very quickly,its not like gradually decreasing. This is in case the TPS works.

Heres the whole procedure

http://www.4shared.com/photo/TM6N8wB...djustment.html

Last thought: hopefully you did not get any carb cleaner into the intake ports in the bottom of the throttle body. It can destroy other sensors (IAC, etc). If you don't have a Haynes manula get one. They are about $20 at autozone and/or download Mits manuals from this forum at https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=39352.

Raise the BAse Idle for the BISS screw to about 800 rpms

Build Thread

Skitt2112
    I'll check it out my next day off. I'll also check to see if any cleaner got in it just to be sure because I cant recall I just sprayed and let it dry. Let's hope not. Lol

on your next day off? cmon, just pop the hood, have a scredriver in you hand and turn the screw on top of the throttle body.

Build Thread