The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Looking to

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Skitt2112

Looking to

Add some power without really messing with the enging a lot right now.

It's a bone stock (outside of the spark plugs I just put in a month ago) 94 galant es i4 sohc auto 3sp w/O. I was thinking a chip/sensor combo I found, A weapon R intake, 75 mm tb, 8mm Sparkplug wires, coilwires, ignition, and muffler. Anything else I might be missing that could put some extra power to the road outside of a 5 speed/engine swap and a turbo? (i'm going to put a 5speed, A 6 cyl and a turbo in when I have the spare cash to do so but i'm broke as of now)

this wont do shit. there are NO chips for our cars, the gains from weapon R intake will be exactly zero.

you want some gains on stock motor get 60mm throttle body of 1g eclipse, port the intake manifold and get a GM MAF sensor and MAFT(translator)

And I know that you know that you wont put any v6s in a 7g Galant. I have only seen one picture of US Galant with 3000gt motor in it and I believe I wont see another
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Skitt2112
    Idk. I saw a couple chips but wasn't sure. And then whats the hype with the intakes. If there's no gains then why throw them out there other than they look good. And idk if I'm going to be able to afford to port the manifold. Other than that how much would the tb and the maf/maft run me.

Also are those the only two (three if you count the engine) things that you see wrong or should I just scrap those and start over. The reason i posted this is I've seen alot of stuff about buy this or do that and I want to know whats actually going to work and what is just a bunch of crap.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    they sell intakes because people will buy them regardless. don't waste your money, they do nothing but stand out in your engine bay.

chips for our ECUs are also useless and will do nothing but cause problems and degrade power, if anything.

unfortunately if you want any actual power gains the only thing that will make any difference will be involved and take more than a few hours. i recommend, and not in this order per say, 5spd swap, DOHC headswap, TB swap, exhaust after 1-2 of the previous are completed, headwork, and turbo of course.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Skitt,
    Peanotation knows what he is talking about. 4000+ post on the Galant Center is a good indicator. 5 Speed is my favorite upgrade. If you can find a donor car with a bad motor you'll have everything you need except a new clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing for a very reasonable price as long as you do the wrench turning.

You ask why do they sell chips and intakes. The short answer is to make money, the same reason they sell junk like the magnetic aND turbo fuel savers. If your lucky they will do no harm. If your not, well you can spend a lot of time and money trying to get things back to normal.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Skitt2112
    Alright guys. Looks like I'm going to be looking for a tranny soon then. About the DOHC swap how would I go about doing that. Would I just be swapping an engine or parts from the engine or what. and it seems like the TB swap is going to be the cheapest and easiest. Also does it matter what year TB or would any 1G TB do? If it matters then what year would I need? If not then I guess I could just pick a year and find one.

Thanks for the patience and help guys I appreciate it. I'm still learning and know a bit about cars but apparently nothing like I thought I did.

There is one thing that will make a little difference and was not mentioned. A cold air intake. Now it is something you would have to kind of fabricate from another intake but its doable and it does make a difference. Peano and I raced a couple times when we were both auto....I had a short ram, he had a CAI. That actually made a difference...he pulled away from me. So if you are gonna think about an intake go with a CAI and I think the best mod I ever did was the 5 spd swap so definately hit that up. Good luck

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Like everyone said, stick to the items that make power. Intakes on most normally aspirated cars do absolutely nothing!
    97 galant... Parts ordered
    07 Ford Edge...family hauler
    02 basset hound.. Low and speedy

they do sound nice though! LOL

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

well im sure im going to get yelled at for this but one thing you can do to make a little bit of power is to hack your maf. Basically you will be taking the honeycomb out of your maf thus causing the car to run leaner (lean equals power) (rich equals safe). Since your going to be n.a. a hacked maf wont hurt your car any. Now if you plan on turboing it your not gonna wanna use a hacked maf so its good just to get a spare they are like 20 bucks from a junkyard or 500 oem brand new lol. Most importantly of all id say a good engine tune up is gonna get you the best power.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

Skitt2112
    Allrice, I'm not so sure about the hacked maf because I asked my dad about it once for a 92 transam he got for us to rebuild (he used to run his old transams over at the drag strip in OK and has been a mechanic since I can remember) and he said it would pull a LITTLE power but the gains compared to the risks weren't worth it. Something about a car he tried it on when he was younger not working right. So idk if I'd be willing to risk it or not. And as far as the intake goes maybe when I have money to blow but that wont be anytime soon. Lol. If there's anyway I could do a CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP 5sp swap I will as soon as I have the spare cash but thats one of the more expensive projects that I have to wait for.

Skitt2112
    Oh and i've already replaced the plugs (which btw has anybody used the pulstar plugs? cause thats whats in it. Came with them though), Waiting for some money to do the wires, Ignition, Coilpacks, and some other stuff that i'm too tired to remember right now.

I know 4G Mirage swapped 4g64 owners use either the 4g93 ecu for a leaner topend or the 4g15 ecu for speed density setup.

But DOHC head swap and turbo are the best known options.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Skitt2112
    I've searched a couple salvage yards and I cant seem to find any heads to do the swap. Also I'll need to flash or replace the ecu for the Dual heads wouldn't I?

Skitt2112
    On another note do you guys know how long or how much of a PITA it is to sand your hoods down with nothing but a peice of sandpaper is? It took me a day and a half to do the hood alone. Although thats priming it too but still. Lol

I would use Ngk spark plugs and nothing else. As for the hacked maf i ran one in my g for over a year before i turboed it and i never had a problem. I know some other cars if you run a hacked maf with altering the iat sensor it they have seen power gains. Hacking the maf leaning the car out then relocating or in our case would have to run a resitor to it so the ecu sees a constant intake temp that works really good with the amount of airflow the ecu is seeing. not really worth it in the long run i guess GO TURBO. Its prolly easier then sanding your hood.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

Check out car-part.com. you can search for just about anything on there.
    97 galant... Parts ordered
    07 Ford Edge...family hauler
    02 basset hound.. Low and speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Skitt2112 View Post
    I've searched a couple salvage yards and I cant seem to find any heads to do the swap. Also I'll need to flash or replace the ecu for the Dual heads wouldn't I?
    90-94 Eclipse, Laser, Talon [4g63]
    92-98 Sonata [g4cp]
    93-95 Elantra [g4cn, g4cr]
    95-99 Eclipse, Talon [4g63]

PM me about the Ecu swap.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals