The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: properly lowering in cities like Los Angeles

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 71

properly lowering in cities like Los Angeles

The roads here are terrible. i just bought my first galant year 02, i bargained hard and have $700 to blow, im thinkin coilovers are my best option. I know a lot of people have just gotten lowering springs and screwed up their car after using them for like a year, so i wna do this one right without screwing anything up. any suggestions?

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

lowering springs and shocks are great, many members here have the tein/GR2 or AGX combo and love it, but I can't vouch for durability, $700 aren't enough for coilovers, the cheapest I've seen them is $830 for D2's, I had some cheap ebay springs with oem shocks and that was horrible. I installed my D2's about a month ago and love them, still in the dampening tweaking process, they aren't oem comfort but I have them the closest i could get them and I have 20" so that doesn't help lol. Go with D2's I love mine/
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 10-11-2010 at 01:53 AM

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    save a little more money and go for coilovers. They may have a little more stiff ride, but I think it would be worth it. I'm also from down south and I know the roads there suck. If you get coilovers, you could try out different heights to see what best fits you. Right now I'm up in SLO and some of the driveways to get into shopping centers are SUPER steep, so for the time being I'm still gonna save up for coilovers (I'm currently on lowering springs). E_Emerson88 is also from the LA area and he's pretty low on coilovers. You should talk to him about his experiences.

Side note: There's a giant Mitsubishi meet every year called MOD that is held at the Mitsubishi headquarters, in Cypress. You should start making plans for next year!!

alright so then coilovers are a good way to go, can i keep everything else stock and just get coilovers? maybe upgrade later if i have to? im just happy this is well within reach, as i only have to save up for another week to get decent coilovers

yes you can keep everything else stock. I recommend getting the lifetime Alignment from Firestone so you can go in there whenever you make adjustments. It's only $150 and its well worth it to keep your future tires from wearing down too fast

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    i didnt know that good too know BTW im in LA too by LAX i love my GR 2 and Tein combo been 2 yrs and alot of miles and still rolling strong my suggestions is for u to think would u like a bouncy ride or a comfy ride if u dont mind the harsh ride then go coil overs but if u would mind then do the spring and shock setup if u decide to go with spring shock combo then anything lower than teins springs ill suggest getting the AGX shock stead of the gr2s
    Last edited by jimmy_o2; 10-11-2010 at 02:44 AM
    03 I4

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i got coil-overs. the ride can be pretty stiff and bouncy depending on the roads. if you dont mind the harshness of it then go coil-overs. if you want a bit more comfy ride then springs is your best bet =]

btw. what part of LA you in?

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

California roads are fine, come to Illinois.

I'd say lower away!

I drive on coilovers on bad Norwegian back-roads. Its a bumpy ride but well worth it :D

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    California roads are fine, come to Illinois.

I'd say lower away!
    LOL illinois roads are horrible specially in Cook county... right here in Elgin theres construction going in every other block of the whole city.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    If you have crappy roads, Coilovers are the last thing you want to get. Not sure whom told you that lowering springs screw up your car but don't listen to those idiots. If you get good shocks and quality springs, not only it will cost half of what coilovers do but it will ride a lot better. You wont be able to change height but it will ride good and you'll be able to get a drink of your pop when you're driving.

I had coilovers and sold them as fast as I could, my car rode like a go kart. Coilovers are cool and all but I would not recomend them on a daily driving car unless you don't care what all that bouncing does to your suspension and you dont mind being uncomfortable while driving. If any suspension woul d screw up your car, I think Coilovers would be first on that list because of how harsh they ride. In the end is your car and your tastes, you decide.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaShiZnitH View Post
    I drive on coilovers on bad Norwegian back-roads. Its a bumpy ride but well worth it :D
    That's not what your suspension components are saying but hey, looks trump longevity of your car.

I live in NYC-Bronx road are super bad here. I'm running teins type s and kyb agx. My best settings so far are 1 on the front and 2 on the rear. If im going for speed 3 on the front and 3 on the back is super stiff.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

blue8g
    I'm with Dave. lol @ warm weather roads being bad.

Also, I find my coil-overs to be at least moderately comfortable.

it's actually not our ROADS that are the worst.. it's the freeways. And no it's not because of crazy rain, flash flooding, snow, etc. It's cause they just did a shit job when building them. Some of them are the nice asphalt ones that are super smooth, some are wayyyy outdated and loud as hell. Most are the concrete ones that have 6 foot long slabs, most of which are either falling apart or have a huge height difference. They also seem to never fill the potholes either. We've had to avoid the same potholes on an easily worked part of the freeway for my entire life. Hell, they shut down the freeway to one lane late at night to renovate a bridge.. but they can't fix the fucking pot holes lol

oh and it's the crazy steep driveways into the stupid strip malls all over the place. It's not exactly flat lands out here

blue8g
    I still call BS

Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    I still call BS
    well maybe you should pay a visit out here some time, cause it's hard to know-it-all when you haven't seen-it-all.

I swear, some driveways, I scraped my bumper/lower crossmember when I was on my stock 4x4 suspension, going down at an angle.

blue8g
    Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    well maybe you should pay a visit out here some time, cause it's hard to know-it-all when you haven't seen-it-all.

I swear, some driveways, I scraped my bumper/lower crossmember when I was on my stock 4x4 suspension, going down at an angle.
    I did that on my neighbors drive way

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    going on the 10 fwy to Santa Monica beach on coilovers. . . . a BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont go to that beach no more cuz its so damn bumpy lol.

btw Beam, you need to learn to drive better. scraping on a driveway on 4x4 suspension? let me know when you need a driving lesson lmao!!!! haha =]

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    going on the 10 fwy to Santa Monica beach on coilovers. . . . a BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont go to that beach no more cuz its so damn bumpy lol.

btw Beam, you need to learn to drive better. scraping on a driveway on 4x4 suspension? let me know when you need a driving lesson lmao!!!! haha =]
    all I have to say is...

-________________-

hahah. and yes, there are some places that are notorious for scraping. In my home town there was this one driveway going into a shopping center that had cuts in the road at like 2 inches deep from all the cars scraping. I would see Mercedes, BMWs, Hondas, EVERYTHING scraping on that driveway lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast