The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The 7g bug has bit me..need advise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27
    Forced4dr

The 7g bug has bit me..need advise.

Looking to buy a 7g. I would like the 2.4 4cyl. Are Certain years more advantageous than others? Any problems to watch out for?

If anyone can point me to a year by year explination of model year changes that would be great.

first off you have no choice. The 2.4 is it unless you are fortunate enough to find a clean GS. Other than that...

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

The 96-98 cars are nice for modding because they are OBD2 which from my understanding makes it easier to swap in a turbo 2g DSM or Evo 8 ECU when turbocharging a 7g. Other than that there are some changes in the front fascia, a few other wiring changes and that's about it.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

if you go with a 97 98 and you plan on turboing it. The ecu pinout is very close to a 2g turbo ecu so there isnt really much wiring at all.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

Thanks for the correction on that. So 97-98 is the way to go :)
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Thanks for the correction on that. So 97-98 is the way to go :)
    96-98 are the same all obd2 sane pinouts, slightly different wire colors in some cases, and the 97-98 stock body is crappy compared to the 96 which is jdm ready
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    96-98 are the same all obd2 sane pinouts, slightly different wire colors in some cases, and the 97-98 stock body is crappy compared to the 96 which is jdm ready
    Did you just call my body crappy lol. i dont know if it matters but finding a galant that is a federal spec might be useful down the road. considering my car never came with a map sensor because its a california spec.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

Quote Originally Posted by allrice4g64 View Post
    Did you just call my body crappy lol. i dont know if it matters but finding a galant that is a federal spec might be useful down the road. considering my car never came with a map sensor because its a california spec.
    my car is cali spec and has a map sensor, the federal spec ecu has more agressive fuel maps
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

i wonder why mine never came with a map sensor then? my car is one of a kind instead of having the full tail light assembly it just has the two little tail lights its wierd.

you sir are mistaken on the body. the 97-98's are superior. the bumper is more aggressive, has larger openings for air, IC's, oil coolers, it has more room behind it, etc... the bumper looks better with a lip than the 94-96 bumper with a lip.

this is why everyone usually goes to the 97-98 bumper

all 94-95's are OBD 1, some 96's are OBD 1.5, all 97-98 are OBD 2

OBD 2 equipped cars require less modifaction for the ecu swaps

97-98 has jdm style tail lights from factory, they are just newer, and they have better color choices. 97-98 is the way to go

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

NICE i did not know that. so me having a 98 with a 5 speed is kind of rare. Any ideas why my motor never had a map sensor?

ill give you on the 97-98 front bumpers having more room

now cuz ive has a 95 galant and a 96 i can tell you the 94-95 are OBD1.5 not 1, the 96-98 are all OBD2 as ALL cars made in 1996 had to be full obd2 cars

and mike, i have no idea why youd be missing the map sensor unless its truly a 94 or 95 which is probably not the issue
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

im gonna run my vin tomorrow and see what it comes up as. could maybe solve alot of my problems that i should not have but do have for no reason lol.

i had mitsu caps on my computer before it crashed or i would have already asked you for your VIN lmao. but that canrt be it or there would have been a complete wiring nightmare are the 94-95 wiring is so different. i will try to think of reasons later haha
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

ill give you on the 97-98 front bumpers having more room

now cuz ive has a 95 galant and a 96 i can tell you the 94-95 are OBD1.5 not 1, the 96-98 are all OBD2 as ALL cars made in 1996 had to be full obd2 cars

and mike, i have no idea why youd be missing the map sensor unless its truly a 94 or 95 which is probably not the issue
    we had members here with 96's and obd 1.5

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Skitt2112
    So the 94-95's didn't have a map sensor or what?
    And whats obd?
    Sorry i'm new to galants,

94-96 bumpers are far superior. The 97-98 are whimpy lookin big time. I do like the openess of the front but the grill section just looks gay. LOL. But I think we cann all agree no matter what the 7G is the pimp G....other than the 6G VR4 so...good luck

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    we had members here with 96's and obd 1.5
    really, as like i said, all cars had to be full obd2 by the 1996 models. i find that odd
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

i've never seen one
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    unless you can get a 94 GS which is superior over everything else, get a full blown OBD2 7G. i'm also not sure if the 96s were fully obd2, but the 97+ are. too bad i think the bumpers are ugly on the later 7Gs :(
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast