The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g Timing belt alignment especially Camshaft

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2
    raszpel

7g Timing belt alignment especially Camshaft

So I have a replacement head on my block, machined and all, new gaskets. But I have run into a worrisome problem. I have a Chilton Manual that shows the alignment for my 96 2.4 at 9:00 flat with the top of the head. But I have seen info on other Galant sites that says the camshaft for my motor should be aligned at 12:00 straight up. Does anyone know of some online pics or have done one of my 96 2.4's that can help me with the confusion. I do not want to trash my new head and valves.
    Thanks in Advance.

Its at 12:00 for the 2.4 SOHC. The Haynes manual shows the camshaft timing mark is located at 12:00 (page 2A-12, figure 7.48) There should be a mark on the edge of the valve cover that aligns with the mark on the camshaft gear (page 2A-12, figure 7.46)

The Chilton manual I assume you are using has figure 159 on page 3-39 which shows the timimg mark at 12:00 but says that is for the 1.8L and 2.0L engines. Figure 181 on page 3-42 says it is for the 2.4 and shows the timing marks at 09:00. I think Chilton just got it wrong. Just be sure you are aligning the mark on the camshaft gear against the mark on the valve cover. I have both manuals and feel the Haynes manual did a better job on the timing belt replacement proceedure. PM me your email address and I'll email you a picture showing the notch on both the camshaft and the valve cover. I'd post it here if I could ever figure out how to shrink my photos to be smaller than 19.5 kb but nothing I've tried has worked.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL