The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OEM Radio compatability? Antitheft codes

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

OEM Radio compatability? Antitheft codes

1. Are the plugs for the factory radios from the 8g and 9g the same as the 7g? In other words, can I just plug and play a 8g/9g radio into my 7g?
    2. Anything special about the Infinity radios? On ebay I've seen write ups saying this radio is an Infinity system implying it might not work in all vehicles.
    3. Any place other than dealer where I can get a antitheft code for free?

Just curious about all this as I need to replace my daily driver's radio and not interested in spending any real money on it.

Thread originally posted in 7g section but just found this section so repeated post here as this is the more appropriate section, thanks,
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Being no replies yet I'll post information about radio compatibility as I find it.
    So far it appears the radio plug in for the OEM radios are the same from 1994-2009 from what I've seen on ebay. I have learned some radios needs an infinity amplifier. Without the Infinity amp an OEM Infinity radio may not put out any sound. Regardless whether it is an OEM basic radio or the OEM Infinity radio they appear to have the same plugs. The OEM basic radio will look a little different than the OEM Infinity version (for one thing it won't have Infinity written on it's face) and it usually wont have the anti theft code adaption.
    While the plug in for the latest Galant (9g) OEM radios look like they will fit the the 7g galant plug, the radio will not work in 7g as the radio controls are completely different and would require a major mod of the console area to be used.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

6g used two plugs for their radios vice the single plug found in our 7gs. I have come accross a couple of examples of 1994 and later Mitsubishi (Diamante for example) that continued to use the dual plug of the earlier 6g radios.
    jjj

i have a stock non-infinity 8g radio if you're interested in trying it out, where are u at?

PM sent
    jjj