The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g front suspension clunk

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    chevyfan87

7g front suspension clunk

1998 ls loud and hard clunk in pass side front when stopping or accelerating. especially hard acceleration and bumps. you can also make it do this just by kicking front tire. i have been told lca bushing but i checked it out (made a friend kick it so i could see the movement) and it has play in it but the problem appears to be elsewhere. tie rods and ball joints are good.

how hard is an lca bushing swap? im not limited on ability... just tools (lovely people made my stuff disappear)

Sometimes those bushings separate from the rest of the unit. You won't notice play along one direction but it'll slide back and forth the other direction and smack back and forth into the metal around the piece. You need to get the car up on jack stands or a lift and check each bushing. Also try just twisting the tire while it is up in the air and see if the noise comes back. That clunk can also be worn CV joints in axles. How do you know the ball joints are good?
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

yeah those ball joints go bad on the regular. The lower control arm is notorious... And will bite you in the ass if you let it go. I don't see bushings making a clunk. Not the ontrol arms anyways.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Have you checked your strut

more than likely it's the axle CV joint

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

chevyfan87
    now, i need to specify, this is most noticeable from a stop. and im gonna look closer today. i dont think its the cv, and i know its not the motor mount because the noise is from the suspension. it is a front to back movements being made by the tire. not up and down. it seems like itll be easy to fix but i guess ill have to see where my problem is first

chevyfan87
    ok... well heres what weve got. double checked ball joints the only way i know of (jack it up, and put a pry bar under tire... u know it) ball joints seem fine. but the lower control arm bushing that i talked about has alot of play in it on both sides. these cars have some very strange front suspension issues

Those lower control arms are available as a dealer kit which includes the knuckle. It is cheaper than just buying the arms. Here is a link to the thread all about it on DSM Tuners.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hand...uestion-2.html
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

chevyfan87
    i was just gonna get the bushings... but i was also told to look into my strut bushings first too