The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Back to an automatic?!

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Back to an automatic?!

I did the 5 speed swap using a 95 Galant tranny in my 95 Galant dirt track race car. The problem is 3rd is too high and 2nd too low. So from the searching I have done it appears the 7G has a higher final output in 3rd than both the 1g or 2g in 5th. I am not sure what the auto ratios are but I know I wasn't up against the rev limiter like I am now. I guess I need some reasonable opinions or other ideas on trannys to use. Can anybody confirm that the 1g will work with mods? Should I go back to an auto and just have it built up by a good shop?
    Last edited by w/oarctic7g; 07-19-2011 at 11:09 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Don't think the 1g trans will work but the 2g gst will with 2g gst axles. Here is a page that might help you http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannies.html
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    gst tranny and axles or a 1994 galant gs tranny. they have slightly longer gear ratios and a longer final drive ratio but once you do the swap, i wouldnt go back
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

do you have a lightweight flywheel as 3rd pulls pretty good for me from 2500 on with my lightweight
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I just used the stock boat anchor at the time because I wasn't sure which motor I was going to run with. I have been collecting engines and have some choices now g4cs 6bolt, expo 2.4 6 bolt, g4cp, and a few 4g64 7 bolts. I am leaning toward the 6 bolt setup now though. If it makes sense, torque is more important than hp in this situation as I am running against 350+horsepower cars. Some opinions have been that the lighter flywheel may not be as much benefit because of running in the mid to higher r's almost exclusively. Trial and error I guess.

lightweight will be fine, revs are much better
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Sleeper- I think I might be reading those tables wrong or something. Is the 7g 3rd gear output ratio taller than all the other Mitsu's in 5th gear? I thought to get the output ratio you added the final plus whatever gear. The 7g third comes out to 4.865.

Looked into the lightweight flywheels today. They ranged from 8-11 lbs flywheel and complete clutch kit for $250 on up, some good quality brands for under $400. What is different about the gst axles is it just that the tranny side has a larger diameter or are they different lengths?

same length, but the spline count on the tranny side is different.

i have a gripforce 11 lb flywheel and it pulls well from low rpms. do lightwight with an act 2100 6 puck and ur good to go, even a street disc will work
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

I have read about a few different final drive ratios one says 4.322 another says 3.625 for a non GS 7g 5speed or 2g Spyder. Can someone confirm which one is correct?
    Last edited by w/oarctic7g; 07-19-2011 at 11:13 PM

how fast are you trying to go? I am basically stock and I can hit 60+ in second. 3rd I can hit 90...I think thats pretty good actuallly

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

I am trying to go as fast as it will take me without hitting the wall! I am trying to match (to the best of my low budget ability) gears and peak torque to the track and my driving style. Working on ordering a cam regrind and tranny swap and trying to do my homework.