The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Official Headswap thread(Advanced Tech, no n00b questions)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    Well, if you make a section: Head Swap for "n00bs" I'll gladly post there.

But I stil don't know why the guy made a riser block for the MAP.
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiul

I dont know either. I guess he didnt want to tap the head, or he just wanted to be creative. Why dont you just email him and ask him and post what he says
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    actually i could care less, i just dont want everyone bombarding this thread with dumb questions like what is a 1g and what is a head
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    Quote Originally Posted by jiul

I dont know either. I guess he didnt want to tap the head, or he just wanted to be creative. Why dont you just email him and ask him and post what he says

It really isn't that big of a concern for me right now, I just thought that it may have some benfit.

What I do want to know is if I can use tensioner from the 64 with the DOHC timing belt or do I need to buy a new one.

1994 galant GS timing belt, tensioner, and Cam gears

everything else is "normal"
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g96nt
    1994 galant GS timing belt, tensioner, and Cam gears

everything else is "normal"
    I coulda sworn that Kim Steel told me that we have the same tensioner as the 2g. And yes GS belt, and cam gears, I think I may go with 4g63 adjustable cam gears, and I believe the 4g64 gears where half a tooth retarded? So for base setting on the g64 dohc set the adustables to half a tooth retarded, and work from there when you tune.

Also Craig, I looked up the cam sensors, and they are different part numbers.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

they Were, huh?
    hrrrm
    I forget who helped me look that up
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

Experienced TGC Member
    they Were, huh?
    hrrrm
    Welp acording to CAPS, 2g turbo, spyder, 7g galant all have tensioner part number MD308086 so they are the same part.

The 1g use either of the following part they are 308587 is the new replacement for the original part number of 185539 so...

no need to get a new tensioner.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

they Were, huh?
    hrrrm
    Welp acording to CAPS, 2g turbo, spyder, 7g galant all have tensioner part number MD308086 so they are the same part.

The 1g use either of the following part they are 308587 is the new replacement for the original part number of 185539 so...

no need to get a new tensioner.

Well, that's good news, the bad news is I just got laid off.
    So I go to plan to B.
    Since I need new heads anyway, I might as well stick to doing the DOHC swap, but do a low budget version of that.
    The porting and polishing will have to wait for better days, as will the turbo exhaust (hell I still don't know yet if I want t/c or s/c and headers)
    Ceramic coated custom pistons.?... Yeah I f I get a new job in the next four weaks LOL

So basically the only "custom" work I have to do is plug the drain holes.
    Is there anything else?
    Is this a newbeee question?
    Is it a noob one?

Experienced TGC Member
    Join the unemployed club! Im the president

And uh, its not that simple cause you gotta swap ecus big pain in the balls I think. Im tryin to figure out what i'll have to add besides coilpack and knock sensor. I really DO NOT want to add egr system, but if the 2g uses it well it will keep the CEL light on if I dont install it.

It only really freaks me out becuase I donthave time to have the car siting around and not running while I track problems...I get like 4 days to work and the car then must be moved across the street for alternate side parking here in the city...I dont have a damn garage
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Join the unemployed club! Im the president

And uh, its not that simple cause you gotta swap ecus big pain in the balls I think. Im tryin to figure out what i'll have to add besides coilpack and knock sensor. I really DO NOT want to add egr system, but if the 2g uses it well it will keep the CEL light on if I dont install it.

It only really freaks me out becuase I donthave time to have the car siting around and not running while I track problems...I get like 4 days to work and the car then must be moved across the street for alternate side parking here in the city...I dont have a damn garage

Yeah soooo that president job ...it pays well?
    Can I apply LOL

Bro having to do the alternate side parking thing witha project car has to really suck.

But the EGR bit I don't get? What do you mean you don't want to add it?
    Did you take it off your car?
    There's no EGR valve on 2G intakes?

Experienced TGC Member
    97 2.4 cali spec does not have egr system only evap. I have only 3 hoses on my intake nice n clean. A) im anti environment lol, I looked up the vaccum diagrams and it just going to be very anoying to add egr plus thats more money out of my pocket to buy the solenoids and valve, Im tryin to spend the least amount possible here!
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

This ECU thing I didn't read anywhere about having to change that.
    Like I said I have a 96, what ecu do I need a 94 or any ecu from a DOHC car?

Also I changed one once for a 2.6 trooper it was a 5 minute job, but it was the same ecu as the one I took off LOL

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>This ECU thing I didn't read anywhere about Â*having to change that.
    Like I said I have a 96, what ecu do I need a 94 or any ecu from a DOHC car?

Also I changed one once for a 2.6 trooper it was a 5 minute job, but it was the same ecu as the one I took off LOL</div>

You need a 2g turbo ecu.

Half the people you talk to gonna say its really simple easy thing..believe me its not. You need new wiring harness, you gota pull ur carpet up, etc..then you have to worry about differences in triggers between 2g ecu and 4g64 for things like a/c, fuel pump etc..You'll have to add knock sensor and coil pack aswell.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    4g63t and 2g 4g64 ECU differences

i found that interesting...
    7g for life!

This is a message from your Noob warning alert system. Noob question to follow:

I went to Seth's site, great site, but ohh yeah this looks like it can get messy fast.

So they write this.

"These are ECU differences we found between the 2G 4G63-T and the 2G 4G64 Spyder ECU's
    These differences must be accounted for when doing a DOHC swap on a 4G64 Spyder AND switching
    over to a factory 2G 4G63-Turbo ECU. What we do is order samples of the ECU terminals from AMP
    and simply insert the new wires with terminals into the empty slots in the ECU connectors on the wiring
    harness. This makes for a clean and professional install."

When they say that they stick the new terminals into the empty slots, where does the other end go?
    Another words , if I have the EGR ( 96 galant) what else do I need to input in that ECU that it doesn't have?

Experienced TGC Member
    Guess what? Its still not that simple because the spyder 4g64 ecu is different from the 7g galant ecu. You have 2 choices, you could take ur current wiring harnessand move the pins around as needed for their new 2g ecu location, whihc means you'll have to add some wires for the coil packs and now you'll have no connector for the coilpacks so you'll have to solder them to to the coilpack connector.

OR, You just buy the 2g turbo ecu wiring harness, makes things somewhat simpler. You just pull out ur old harness and run the new one through the car into the engine bay. The problem I see, not so much a problem but an anoyance, is the main wiring harness is 1 giant thing strapped together. This includes the tranny harness for us a/t guys, and god knows what else. If I swap harnesses i'll have to cut apart my current on and somehow untangle all the 300 wires so I can seperate the tranny stuff from the engine stuff.

O and one more thin for my side of shit...Like I said I dont have all the tme in the world to work on this since I do it out on the street. I need to getthe 2g turbo ecu wired in and running my sohc 4g64 first maybe the week before I actualy do the headswap. Then I can do the headswap when I know the ecu is working and running fine. After that no biggie, swap the head, the head only has 3 connectors on it, not including the coilpacks wich will already be powering my sohc.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You need a 2g turbo ecu.

Half the people you talk to gonna say its really simple easy thing..believe me its not. You need new wiring harness, you gota pull ur carpet up, etc..then you have to worry about differences in triggers between 2g ecu and 4g64 for things like a/c, fuel pump etc..You'll have to add knock sensor and coil pack aswell.[/quote]

Dude, this changing trigers tings has me worried , only because I don't know wtf it is.
    Do you know where I can get some info on this?
    Doesn't the new ecu have this programed in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12