The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Crankshaft alignment mark 96 SOHC

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    raszpel

Icon5 Crankshaft alignment mark 96 SOHC

Maybe you all can help me out. MY Chilton manual shows the crankshaft timing mark at the 9:00 position. But when I look out on the internet it appears to be at the 12:00 position. I just replaced the head from a slipped timing belt and do not want to ruin my freshly machined replacement head. This is a SOHC 2.4 of course. Does anyone have any pictures of one they have actually done? Or has anyone done a belt replacement on the same motor of a 96 SOHC 2.4 that can give me a definitive answer on this. I have been stuck like a truck on this worrisome problem for over 2 weeks.
    Thanks in advance.

There is a notch in the crank signal wheel that you line up with the mark on the aluminum cover at about the 10 o'clock position.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Yeah i'd say it's around the 10 o'clock position.

On the crankshaft gear itself it's a triangle, and usually there's a backing plate behind it that separates the balance shaft belt from the timing belt, and on that plate there's a U shape cut out. Both of these align to the protruded triangle coming directly off the block. or the front case. or whaetver.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

pm sent
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

raszpel

OOps I meant Camshaft alignment mark

Oops I meant the Camshaft on the 96 SOHC timing belt alignment mark.