The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: reg oil or synthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26
    Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar

Icon4 reg oil or synthetic

Ok so I recently took out my motor and found out my block wasn't in good shape. Now I have a new motor with 112k on it and this motor is clean but I'm putting a head I bought with 90k on I'm putting new water and oil pump, all new belts, seals and gaskets. So I was wondering if I should run reg penzoil high mileage 10-30 or synthetic penzoil platinum?

Also the new motor came with a knock sensor and my old one never had one is that normal?

run the platinum penzoil 10w-30 the very first time. After 3k miles, just regular penzoil 10w-30.

Thats what I would do. The platinum for the initial break in and cleaning, regular after. I don't believe in high mileage unless the car smokes and all.

The knock sensor thing, I don't know much about the I4 but I believe the 99's did not come with a knock sensor where any year after that did.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Ok thanks many ppl told me not to go synthetic cuz of the mileage and just use reg oil

this one lol

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...8_pri_larg.jpg

every 3k miles w/ filter of your choice - not fram

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

So you want me to use sythetic then switch back to regular oil? And I use K&N never really liked fram

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99galantES View Post
    So you want me to use sythetic then switch back to regular oil? And I use K&N never really liked fram
    Yes, well even when the winter is coming. Sythetic is a thin layer oil and it would be alot better for when it gets really cold out.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

But I heard once you go synthetic you can't go back to regular oil

Lol! Never heard that before. I have heard stick with one brand though.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    No thats not true at all. You can switch oils

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

I'm just going to go synthetic then

What typically happens with a high quality synthetic oil is that it holds to the metal so well that when you switch back to conventional it cant hold the metal because it still has a light synthetic film on it. I have a fully built motor and I use conventional Valvoline 10-30 in cool/cold temps and 10-40 in hot weather. My engine builder actually told me I shouldnt use anything synthetic until after 3000 miles because the oil is so good, it prevents the piston rings from seating into the walls becuase it lubricates TOO WELL. I know your average piston ring is seated and worn in after a few hundred miles, but im playing it safe.

Also in terms of synthetic Mobil1 is a very affordable brand, thats why most people always suggest it, but if you want the best quality, you want something higher grade like AMSOIL. Royal Purple is kinda in between AMSOIL and Mobil1. I dont too many people who use Eneos, but my friend says he sells a ton of it at his shop, and he uses it in his R33 Skyline GTR with 700+WHP. I doubt he would put crap in that engine, especially after he just spent 10k on a fully built one because he blew a hole in his old block.

Stewi, 06-13-2008, TGC

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i use mobil 1 synthetic high mileage and mobil 1 oil filters. remember that synthetic can last longer than normal oil as well, so it may cost more per oil change but you can usually get more life out of it
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kildaremike View Post
    What typically happens with a high quality synthetic oil is that it holds to the metal so well that when you switch back to conventional it cant hold the metal because it still has a light synthetic film on it. I have a fully built motor and I use conventional Valvoline 10-30 in cool/cold temps and 10-40 in hot weather. My engine builder actually told me I shouldnt use anything synthetic until after 3000 miles because the oil is so good, it prevents the piston rings from seating into the walls becuase it lubricates TOO WELL. I know your average piston ring is seated and worn in after a few hundred miles, but im playing it safe.

Also in terms of synthetic Mobil1 is a very affordable brand, thats why most people always suggest it, but if you want the best quality, you want something higher grade like AMSOIL. Royal Purple is kinda in between AMSOIL and Mobil1. I dont too many people who use Eneos, but my friend says he sells a ton of it at his shop, and he uses it in his R33 Skyline GTR with 700+WHP. I doubt he would put crap in that engine, especially after he just spent 10k on a fully built one because he blew a hole in his old block.

Stewi, 06-13-2008, TGC
    +1

To this day I still run conventional valvoline oil in my car. There is a HUGE thread over on EvoM about how terrible Mobil1 is. If the motor was meant to use synthetic, it would have had it from the factory. Alot of the high power EVO guys run AMSOIL, Eneos and Bradd Penn. Either way, your spending about $7+ per quart. Again, im still staying with conventional for now........
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Ok thanks many ppl told me not to go synthetic cuz of the mileage and just use reg oil
    That is a blatant lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    +1

To this day I still run conventional valvoline oil in my car. There is a HUGE thread over on EvoM about how terrible Mobil1 is. If the motor was meant to use synthetic, it would have had it from the factory. Alot of the high power EVO guys run AMSOIL, Eneos and Bradd Penn. Either way, your spending about $7+ per quart. Again, im still staying with conventional for now........
    +1. AMSOil FTW!

Castrol GTX every 5k.Any filter but Fram.My local parts store usually has a special w/ 5qts and Purolator filter for about $15.

Why does everyone say not to use a fram filter?

Back from the dead!!!

a 6g72 few qts of oil should have
    4qts
    5qts

Quote Originally Posted by shortdogg2k05 View Post
    Why does everyone say not to use a fram filter?
    x2 thats what i have on right now

Because if you ripped one open you would see that the endcaps are made of cardboard, whereas most all others are steel. If cardboard endcaps are soaked in oil what happens is they may start to fall apart and get into the entire engine....or at the very least, they may let dirty oil pass right by. And the filter paper also has fewer pleats than others. I think Purolator PureOne filters are by far one of the best filters you can get for the $,,,although Wix and K&N are solid too but pricier.
    Here's some cut open:
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Also, OP....when deciding whether to use synthetic or conventional oil mileage means nothing. I don't know what idiot started the whole "if you have a high mileage vehicle you shouldn't use synthetic oil" crap came from. And if you're in Mass. why wouldn't you run 5W30....especially now that it's getting colder?
    Last edited by boochieboy; 11-04-2010 at 10:45 PM

i ended up using pennzoil platinum 10w-30 but cars timing is off so i might switch back to reg oil for now and save the synthetic for later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast