The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil pan leak.

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Oil pan leak.

A while back when changing the oil I noticed a oil build up and leak from two screws on the pan. It seems that when someone changed the oil they stripped the threads in the engine block. I bought two exact same size screws and they didn't catch. What's the best way to go about getting this fixed?

you need to rethread the two stripped threads one size bigger than the oem and use two new bolts for that thread size. you will need to remove the pan clean out the old gasket wipe the edges clean on pan and housing put new gasket and reseal pan. and be carefull not to over titghten or force in any of the bolts back in

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    you need to rethread the two stripped threads one size bigger than the oem and use two new bolts for that thread size. you will need to remove the pan clean out the old gasket wipe the edges clean on pan and housing put new gasket and reseal pan. and be carefull not to over titghten or force in any of the bolts back in
    +1. Any gasket will go out time to time due to heat and environment corrosion. Like Jubeiaire said change gasket and clean the area.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

7g did not come from the factory with oil pan gaskets. The factory just used sealent (i.e., no gasket) to seal the oil pan.

Now as far as the two stripped oil pan bolt holes. Depending on which holes are stripped you can tap the hole with the oil pan in place and then use a larger sized bolt for the new threads. On the front of the oil pan (i.e. closest to the fan belts) the oil pan screws into the alumium oil pump insert. If these holes are stripped you should remove the oil pan as the holes open into the engine space by the crank. This means if you tap these holes there is a high likelihood of getting metal bits into the engine and a risk future engine damage. The holes along the side of the oil pan are in the block and are closed at the bottom. There is no chance of metal bits getting into the engine as long as you do not drill through the bottom of the screw hole. The oil pan screws at the back of the oil pan (side opposite from the fan belts) screw into the aluminum rear seal insert. These holes are closed at the bottom meaning there is no chance of getting metal bits into the engine as long as you do not drill through the bottom of the screw hole. As long as the holes needing tapped are not the front holes you can just tap the hole with the oil pan in place and tighten things with a new larger bolt. If the stripped holes are the front ones then you should remove the oil pan before tapping and be extra careful to prevent metal from getting into the engine while tapping. I have a spare 7g engine block sitting in my garage and just verified this information. One last thought. If the leak is tiny, you can always just ignore it.
    Last edited by eksz; 11-10-2010 at 11:16 AM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Thanks for the info eksz, if I recall they are the ones opposite of the fan belt that do not reach into the engine. At the moment I am just leaving it since it's a slow leak, and just happens from time to time.