The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: random question...

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

random question...

most will more than likely think this is a stupid question.... is there anyway we can install mivec or a mivec engine into our 8g's? and if so how difficult will it be to do this?
    2000 G-lant ES

well recently you could install the evo 9 motor which is mivec into a evo 8, which is non mivec, so yes it is possible since the evo 8 motor fits in the 8g, but i would imagina it would be a pain in the @$$.

the only hard part would be wiring it up i believe. the 4g69 is pretty much a 4g64 with mivec and some performance modifications.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

any on this site attempted to try this or succeed? i was just bored one day and it somehow popped in my head. ha thanks for the info guys.
    2000 G-lant ES

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power View Post
    the only hard part would be wiring it up i believe. the 4g69 is pretty much a 4g64 with mivec and some performance modifications.
    Well the EVO 9 motor is not the 4g69, the evo 9 motor is a 4g63 with mivec

Quote Originally Posted by galant108 View Post
    any on this site attempted to try this or succeed? i was just bored one day and it somehow popped in my head. ha thanks for the info guys.
    I dont think so,

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    It can be done.

Nobody has done it in a galant, the EVO guys do it all the time. If you were swapping a mivec motor into the car, it would just be a matter of wiring up the mivec and having an ecu meant for mivec. Im not saying I know how to do it, because I dont, but im sure with some patience you could get it done.

Something more import to consider is why do you want to do it? For the cool factor? For performance you arent going to gain much unless you plan to turbo it as well. I always think about performance mods like this COST VS. GAIN. If your gonna spend $3k doing a MIVEC swap to gain 20hp it makes more sense to spend $3k to turbo your existing motor and gain 80-100hp. Turbo'ing your car can also be much less expensive than that if your patient in searching for used parts and have the technically ability to do most of the work yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

It should smack right down there :) Same basic engine. U only need the ECU/wires as told above ^^

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    Just buy an evo?

Experienced TGC Member
    As Stewi mentioned the engine can be swapped, though in order to control the MIVEC system you will need either a standalone such as AEM, or you will need to swap the entire MIVEC engine harness...cluster display, and numerous other components as the newer ECUs run on CAN vs the OBDII that the 8th Gen Galant uses. Basically, CAN is a computer software...far more advanced and "smarter" than the OBDII system and software.

Also Stewi made a perfect statement about looking at the overall project cost to horsepower ratio. For instance the V6 platform has been found to be most cost effective for the HP numbers to run the 6g75 Non-MIVEC engines vs the 6g75 MIVEC.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    Just buy an evo?
    I'm against that. Everyone told me that same shit when I started. Noobs need to realize, its all a cycle really. When I first joined TGC, I was getting info about wiring up neon lights under my dash and stuff like that. In 2003 I paid people to change my oil and brakes, a year later I was doing 5 speed swaps, a year after doing EVO swaps. The speed bug bit me after we swapped XD01's car to 5 speed w/LSD and he had the RIPP SDS on it. Back in 04' that thing was FAST to us, it was probably making 250whp.

Its funny how things progress rather rapidly. This is the reason online forums exist, knowledge is power and it spreads like wild fire on enthusiast forums. Look how many 5 speed swapped 8g's there are now, in 2004 I was the 2nd person in the country (on tgc) to swap my car to 5 speed, it took me a few months to figure it out because the first person to swap his car to 5 speed, didnt want me to be successful, he gave me wrong info, to deter/discourage me from completing the swap. We then swapped over XD01's car, then gave goosey the info to do his, he made a tutorial about it, now there are ALOT of 5 speed swapped cars, probably 25 or so, maybe more if you count the ones we wrecked over the years.

You can do anything as long as you have the patience, means (money/tools/common sense) and motivation to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    Well the EVO 9 motor is not the 4g69, the evo 9 motor is a 4g63 with mivec

I know that i was referring to the first post. He didnt mention evo engine, just mivec which the 4g69 would be more direct alt of the non-mivec 4g64.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

thanks for all the info guys. i was just curious if it was possible. not saying i wanted to do it. and to the guy who suggested buying an EVO.... ha about that! lets just say i work at grocery store and get a raise every 2 years. pretty $hitty living pay check to pay check. but waiting for tax return to do some mods before my fiance gets ahold of my money. once again thanks for the info/help guys!
    2000 G-lant ES