The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed swap questions

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

5 speed swap questions

I've been searching the forum for information on my pending 5 speed swap but still have a couple questions.

1 Donor car is a 1995 S. 5 speed will be installed into a 1998 ES. Any issues with using a 7Ga manual trans in a 7Gb automatic?

2. Is there a wiring fix that can be done to prevent the car from starting unless the clutch is pressed in.

3. Any advantages to using the TCU from the donor car in this swap? Would the 5 speed TCU eliminate the need to cross wire the large transmission plug to enable the the car to start and the wiring required to make the back up lights work?

4. Will the cruise control still work after the 5 speed swap?

5. I was thinking of using an ACT 2100 clutch kit but have not been able to identify the specific kit I shuld use. MB1-HDSS? HDSD? HDGG? HDG4? etc.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    ur good. i have a 94 tranny in my 96 which is the same wiring ad te 97-98, no wiring is needed from the donor car. just follow matts tutorial
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by eksz View Post
    I've been searching the forum for information on my pending 5 speed swap but still have a couple questions.

1 Donor car is a 1995 S. 5 speed will be installed into a 1998 ES. Any issues with using a 7Ga manual trans in a 7Gb automatic?

2. Is there a wiring fix that can be done to prevent the car from starting unless the clutch is pressed in.

3. Any advantages to using the TCU from the donor car in this swap? Would the 5 speed TCU eliminate the need to cross wire the large transmission plug to enable the the car to start and the wiring required to make the back up lights work?

4. Will the cruise control still work after the 5 speed swap?

5. I was thinking of using an ACT 2100 clutch kit but have not been able to identify the specific kit I shuld use. MB1-HDSS? HDSD? HDGG? HDG4? etc.

1. no

2. when you put together the two wires from the auto harness, car will alway start w/o havin the clutch pressed. if you want to have that feature, i believe there shoul be a plug under the dash(eventho is an auto) that you can plug into your clutch pedal which will enable the feature.

3. manual trannies dont have TCUs. When you pull the manual tranny off the donor car, make sure you leave the reverse light switch on the tranny and cut some of the harness with it. It right on top of the tranny, you cant miss it. There are two red wires coming out of it. Now on the same plug where the two wires for starting the car are located, youll find two red wires. these are the reverse light wires. Cut them off the plug and splice them with the red wires on the manual transmission.

4. no. unless you come up with the starter triggered relay. What i mean is: the two wires from the auto tranny plug that you initially put together to start the car automatically disable the cruise ctrl. How? you can start an auto car only when the car is in "P" (parking), well these are the wires that signal the ECU that the gearbox is in "P". While tranny is in "P" the cruise control does not work for obvious reasons. So separating these wires will fool the ECU that the tranny is out of "P" which will enable the cruise control, but your engine wont start. So you need the wires to make contact just for the moment you start the car and to be separated for the rest of the time. This is achieved by using a relay which has a constant ground and it is powered by the starter solenoid wire( it comes out somewhere around the battery and goes to the starter, its like a 10gauge wire). On the contact side of the relay are the two wires. So when you turn the key to start the car the relay is powered and puts together the wires, so your engine starts and when let off the key the relay will kill the connection so you have cruise control.

Or you can just get that non-cruise control cable off that S and forget about he cruise control.

5. get the organic or the 6 puck sprung hub disc. they are for street vehicles.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    1. no

2. when you put together the two wires from the auto harness, car will alway start w/o havin the clutch pressed. if you want to have that feature, i believe there shoul be a plug under the dash(eventho is an auto) that you can plug into your clutch pedal which will enable the feature.

3. manual trannies dont have TCUs. When you pull the manual tranny off the donor car, make sure you leave the reverse light switch on the tranny and cut some of the harness with it. It right on top of the tranny, you cant miss it. There are two red wires coming out of it. Now on the same plug where the two wires for starting the car are located, youll find two red wires. these are the reverse light wires. Cut them off the plug and splice them with the red wires on the manual transmission.

4. no. unless you come up with the starter triggered relay. What i mean is: the two wires from the auto tranny plug that you initially put together to start the car automatically disable the cruise ctrl. How? you can start an auto car only when the car is in "P" (parking), well these are the wires that signal the ECU that the gearbox is in "P". While tranny is in "P" the cruise control does not work for obvious reasons. So separating these wires will fool the ECU that the tranny is out of "P" which will enable the cruise control, but your engine wont start. So you need the wires to make contact just for the moment you start the car and to be separated for the rest of the time. This is achieved by using a relay which has a constant ground and it is powered by the starter solenoid wire( it comes out somewhere around the battery and goes to the starter, its like a 10gauge wire). On the contact side of the relay are the two wires. So when you turn the key to start the car the relay is powered and puts together the wires, so your engine starts and when let off the key the relay will kill the connection so you have cruise control.

Or you can just get that non-cruise control cable off that S and forget about he cruise control.

5. get the organic or the 6 puck sprung hub disc. they are for street vehicles.
    Why cant you just run a toggle switch to the wires and cut them off when you want cruise? You can hide it and cut it off so nobody can steal your car as well.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    2 - Just a note, it's been theorized that one of the "many" causes of crankwalk is lateral pressure on the crank when the engine is cold; this is from pushing the clutch in to start the car. Who really knows if this is true, but it can't hurt, and it definitely can't be good to push on that thing sideways until the oil is warmed up....

3 - Manuals don't use TCUs on our gens. You will still need to wire up the reverse lights to your harness and still cross the wires on the big plug to get the car to start.
    Last edited by peanotation; 11-10-2010 at 10:51 AM
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

This kind of information is exactly what makes this webpage so great. Saved me countless hours of trying to figure out some of this stuff, especially the cruise control (I have to make the cruise operational as this is the wife's car). Again, thanks for the great responses;
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL