The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Spark Plug Gap

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    TGC Regular

Spark Plug Gap

Hey guys I may be changing my spark plugs tomorrow and my dad mentioned to me to make sure I know the gap of the spark plugs. I don't know what it is and my car didn't come with a manual. Whats the gap? Thanks!
    Chris
    2004 Mazda 3i; bought 7/2/04
    98 Galant ES; Sold 6/30/04

According to a spec page I found, both 4g64 and 6g72 are 0.039 - 0.043 in. I called my local Mitsu dealer and asked them out of curiosity, they said "Uhh our plugs come specific to the car pregapped. Our techs have no idea." Hehe

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    get a gap checker and check the gaps on your plugs, but if u using NGK's they should come pre gapped.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

TGC Regular
    Yes i will buy NGK. Thats good they come pregapped!

Thats funny how mitsu mechanics don't know the gap
    Chris
    2004 Mazda 3i; bought 7/2/04
    98 Galant ES; Sold 6/30/04

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'>get a gap checker and check the gaps on your Â*plugs, but if u using NGK's they should come pre gapped.</div>

You should always double check. I've had "pre gapped" plugs be off before. The worst I've seen was on a platinum plug that came gapped from the factory at like .065 when it should have been at .040 The standard is around .040 for almost any car. Though, it's not critical or anything, since the gap is gonna vary over the life of the plug anyway.

but remember with some plugs like iriduim plugs, u can actually damage the plugs by gapping them so keep that in mind.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

redboy
    hahaha, yeah i didnt have a gapper so i gapped them to what i thought they were supposed to be and........ about a week later my car ran like shat. so i checked them, i had some up to .65 one at .72 and the other one was allright and all were dirty as hell with carbon, since i got it right(i think i put them at .45) my car has been runnin straight since then. so gappin them right does make a really big difference!!!! trust me

Experienced TGC Member
    A big gap will, small gap won't make a huge impact. Your distributer cant supply the power needed to create an arc across a gap larger much larger then .45, unless you youse an aftermarket ignition system like msd
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

redboy
    does anyone even make a aftermarket ignition for our car??

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redboy)</div><div class='quotemain'>does anyone even make a aftermarket ignition for our car??</div>

No, apparantly due to our internal coil distributor design, we can't utilize an aftermarket ignition. Sad really, my '88 Colt can use an aftermarket ignition but my Galant can't.

Moosh
    Headswap coil pack swap *cough*

Experienced TGC Member
    You can easily modify your distributer cap to accept an aftermarket blaster coil that will provide more power. They sell the modified distributer caps for some honda's I never bothered to look if there is one ready made for the 4g64
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Galanttuner
    stock gap is 0.044