The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Paint Question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    stbrian

Paint Question

Hi gang,

I just bought some acrylic urethane car paint kit for about $100 total from http://www.paintforcars.com and will start to paint my cancerous car this weekend using an electric spray paint I purchased from Home Depot to paint my fence before. Anyone got experience doing this? I could have taken it to Maaco for a $249 job but since I am unemployed right now, saving every dollar count.

Any thought?

your gonna have splatter effect on the car. that home sprayer wont produce enough pressure to mistify the Urethane paint for use on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    your gonna have splatter effect on the car. that home sprayer wont produce enough pressure to mistify the Urethane paint for use on a car.
    x2

You need at least 60-70psi on the tank and 25-30 psi at the gun if you decided to use a low pressure air gun.

They have some cheap guns at http://www.harborfreight.com/

You really need to do a read up somewhere as with acrylic paints you will need to clean the gun and containers with lacquer thinner right after using them.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

stbrian
    Ok, how about a "3 Gallon, 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor" with a "20 Oz. High Volume Low Pressure Gravity Feed Spray Gun" from Harbor Freight? I was there this morning and I think this Air compressor is on sale for 39.99 on Black Friday. What do you guys think? will it work?

youll run out of air just spraying .5 door on a 3 gallon tank. when you spray with a compressor you start your spray off the target and float dust it in passes, If you try to paint your hood bumpers or Quarterpanels your gonna get spurt spots from when the compressor kicks in at 75% loss.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-99925.html

thats the smallest setup id go with for painting a full car. anything less and your looking at a lot of paint issues, splatter, spurts,and runns

stbrian
    Thanks. After considering all the costs involved, I think I will let Maaco handle the painting this time for $249.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    I think when this was discussed in the past, members suggested preping the car your self like sanding (as long as you can keep it from rusting before you bring it to them) and even primming it. I would suggest giving them your paint to maybe save money too? And make sure you understand what the cheapest package has to offer.

i would stay away from there economy paint package if you live on the upper east coast, in an area that gets decent snow or in a very hot dry dusty area

if your staying with the original color on the car then your better off doing all the prep yourself. Most High end Body shops will charge about 25-50 dollars a panel if you do the prep.
    you can get a gallon of basic factory paint for under $100
    http://www.carpaintonline.com/produc...=6755&SPCId=18

A gallon of Urethane clear will run you less than 100 also

http://www.carpaintonline.com/Majorc...lear_78_p.html

If the car doesent have dents and your repainting because of sun spots then prep is easy as hell......
    First remove all your moldings and badges windshield nozzles license plates black/chrome trim grill/s.
    sand the cars old clear off using 600-1000 wet sand. dont sand off the old paint it will be used as your primer/base coat. once you remove all the old clear use a sandable primer that matches the original color to fill in where the paint itself has been worn away. once you have those spots filled sand it smooth with 1500-200 grit. once its all smoothed out, wash the car thurougly. drive to shop ,but before dropping it off tape off your head lights tail lights fog lights. everything else the shop will cover up.

your looking at about 480(@25$ a panel) with your own prep/paint to have a Good shop respray you with 1gallon of paint 1 gallon of clear. you should have 1/2 a gallon of each left over for touch up or if you get a body kit or god fobid you ever get a fender bender. 1gallon of paint becomes two gallons when you add the thinner. 1/2 gallon of clear will give you about 3-5 coats of clear when spraying the entire outer portion of the car

As a side Note: You can go on ebay or to aftermarket paint makers and get a full paint kit for around 350 give or take 100 bucks. You can pick a color simular to your Original Factory Or just have the shop change it all together. Most of those kits come with the primer, catalyst, basecoat, reducer, hardner, clear, and clear hardner.

If you had a Black G---
    Example on ebay:( Note this is the expensive stuff)

House Of Kolor KD2000 Metal Primer 1Gallon 1/4KT-Auto Paint $153.00
    House Of Kolor BC-25 Base Coat Black 1 gallon Auto paint $157.00
    (can be used as reg coat and cleared or as base for candy)
    Optional:House of Kolor kbc11 Kandy Apple Red Paint 1qt.) $ 67.00
    -Sprayed over BC-25 to change color of Car-
    House Of Kolor UC-35 KOSMIC KLEAR URETHANE CLEAR Qt KIT $106.00

Total cost New Color: $483.00
    Total cost Old Color: $416.00

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS HOUSE OF KOLOR ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE PAINTS YOU CAN GET
    Thats a full kit that a shop can use to change the color of your car.
    Leave out the optional Candy and you can just stay Original color.

Wow good tips guys, I have an 03 Black Galant and I think the previous owner had a HORRIBLE paint job because I find a few spots with over spray like the windows and fog light bezels and the worst part is that it's not even. There's little hard bubbles everywhere like dust got in or something...I need a fix
    Bought from crzygtz,deeznutz, dominicano, finald8ta, Galantman03, G-Spot, Isaurio, jonk8123, M-Rod, and specter6633

Dont' keep it stock, turn heads on the block

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4 cyl "Storm"

let me know what it cost you and where you went. i have a black 2002 and the bubble issue.(prolly maco painted) but i have 2 dents. what do i do about that?

Not sure bro but I was so concerned with over spray I used polishing compound on the windows where it was...bad idea it scratched. So now I use amazing brake parts cleaner as a paint remover and it works freakin wonders.
    Bought from crzygtz,deeznutz, dominicano, finald8ta, Galantman03, G-Spot, Isaurio, jonk8123, M-Rod, and specter6633

Quote Originally Posted by JDyal View Post
    Not sure bro but I was so concerned with over spray I used polishing compound on the windows where it was...bad idea it scratched. So now I use amazing brake parts cleaner as a paint remover and it works freakin wonders.
    The appropriate paint remover is lacquer thinner. But good job on your home made remover lol.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

.............its amazing to me what people do, when the RIGHT thing to use isnt that expensive

Lol thanks I used it since it doesn't harm plastic

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    .............its amazing to me what people do, when the RIGHT thing to use isnt that expensive
    Lol! So true!

Yeah I understand it isn't expensive but I bought it not because of a budget but because everything I used either didn't work or melted the plastic on the lights I tinted. So I googled it and idr if it was here but someone said they used brake parts cleaner and it didn't harm the plastic. Also as another home made remedy, my friend was cleaning his girls intake and accidentally sprayed seafoam on her headlights (haha headlights) anyway he wiped it off and it came off clean with little effort. If they're very oxidized idk if it'll work but I tried it too an mine were cleaned in nov when I got it painted black and it works like a charm

Quote Originally Posted by specter6633 View Post
    let me know what it cost you and where you went. i have a black 2002 and the bubble issue.(prolly maco painted) but i have 2 dents. what do i do about that?

Hey I just noticed we have the same rims...what Enkei are they? I didn't know the name of mine I need a center cap

Quote Originally Posted by JDyal View Post
    Hey I just noticed we have the same rims...what Enkei are they? I didn't know the name of mine I need a center cap
    enkei RSV 17x7.5 but your white rims dont look like this.
    Last edited by specter6633; 02-23-2012 at 09:22 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast