The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Noob from Detroit!

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Newb from Detroit!

Hey guys what's up!?! My name is Norm and I'm from Detroit. I just got my 'G' about a month ago and I'm very excited about hooking it up. I am a total noob who knows nothing about cars so guys please go easy on me. I've been prowling the site over the last few days just trying to get a feel for the information offered and trying to learn what I can before I start asking you guys questions. I'm kind of a detail orientated guy so just in case you guys want to know what I plan on doing to car here's what I'm thinking.
    First off, my main goal is to learn more about cars. I would really love to personally do as many of the modification as I can. As far as the car, I'll break it down like this.

Exterior
    Originally I wanted to do a body kit but I realized I really like the way the Galant looks and as sweet as some of the kited cars look I'm kind of a purest, so now I'm leaning more towards something that won't modify the appearance of the car too drastically, maybe a JDM bumper or a front lip. You guys generally tell new people to look around at different builds to get an idea of where you want to go (I did that) and I really like what IVORY_G did to his car.

Wheels
    The first mod I'm looking to do is to get some rims/tires which also means I'm open to doing something to the brakes and suspension. Like I said before I'm 'new' (and know nothing about cars) so right now I'm just prowling the forum trying to learn all I can so when I do ask questions I don't sound stupid. If you guys can give me a link to info on what I need to know about wheels/brakes and suspension I would appreciate it.

Engine/ Performance
    This one's kind of tricky. I was thinking turbo but the more I learn about them the more intimidating the process seems. I know I'm going to do something but at this point I don't know what. So right now I'm just going to keep reading and learning from you guys.

Well that what I got. I realize that a lot of my ideas about what I want to do will change in the next few months (as I learn more) but this is where I'm at now any advice or suggestions that you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Peace,
    Norm

Side note: I'm looking to spend about 4k and also I'm going to wait till the spring to do any major mods on the car (tires and rims).

Last edited by RavenPhoenix; 11-15-2010 at 01:07 AM
    "We Do Not Sow."

You're missing the one item that's crucial for your build and shouldn't be overlooked.....

It's called a "gas cap door"

On your 3rd pic, the "aftermarket front bumper", the misalligned fender and the unpainted passenger side mirror indicates the car came out from a salvage title which means there are still kinks like frame damage still from hidden normal eyes. This may slow you down on body panels that's built within factory specs. Good luck!
    Last edited by G-spot; 11-14-2010 at 11:01 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    ^ lol yes your car is naked without it lol. 4k is alot of money to spend for modding alone. Good luck n welcome

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    You're missing the one item that's crucial for your build and shouldn't be overlooked.....

It's called a "gas cap door"

On your 3rd pic, the "aftermarket front bumper", the misalligned fender and the unpainted passenger side mirror indicates the car came out from a salvage title which means there are still kinks like frame damage still from hidden normal eyes. This may slow you down on body panels that's built within factory specs. Good luck!
    Damn man I can't believe you could see all of that in that picture! I hope you don't mind me asking but where would be the best place to get the care checked out? Should I take it to a dealer or would It be good just going to a 'reputable' body shop. What do you recommend? Ideally I would like to get the care back to factory specs. That's the second thing on my list of things to do to the car the first would be to get a "gas cap door".
    "We Do Not Sow."

Coolest newb eva!
    Welcome! First thing I'd do is get some rims, as well as a gas cap!
    The fact that the bumper is not original is from the triangle cutout on the front.... OEM ones actually have the three diamonds engraved.

4K is a generous amount to spend on modding... especially if you're not planning on going crazy, so I think you'll make out all right!

Wow,good call.He may have never noticed the non-existent gas door.Anyway,Norm,does the car drive well?This is your first indicator of how well the car has been rebuilt.Does it hold a straight path without you holding the steering wheel?Any vibrations?And you are right about one thing,a reputable body shop should be your first stop.If you are planning on spending that kind of money,and possibly going turbo,first and foremost you need a solid platform.

Welcome to TGC|
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition