The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: lets talk natrually aspirated

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 224
    he optima DOHC head has a 56cc combustion chamber and the evo has a 43cc and stock 8g SOHC head has 47cc

i cant find the Sonata dome cc's
    Last edited by mko; 01-02-2011 at 06:29 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    IDK man it makes no sense.

Pistons at TDC sit flush with the block. Higher sitting piston or offset wrist pin piston is used only for stroker builds.

If the Sonata pistons are higher sitting then they will most def. come in contact with the head which is obviously not good.

If the statement, that 99-00 Galants have 9.5 CR and the 01-03 galants have 9.0 CR, only leads me to say that early 8g galants were still using 7g style 9.5 CR pistons and later 8g were made with flat pistons and 9.0 CR.

Do you know for sure that the SOnata has bigger combustion chamber than the 8g SOHC chamber? Because if the Galant has more cc's in the chamber then youll end up where you started - stock CR galant. And then youd have to make a choice - go DOHC for more compression or get another set of pistons.

I wish my theory is wrong and youre right. That will save you a lot of headache.
    Im positive that the galants 8g CR is 9.0:1 i looked it up on Mitchell too.

The sonata head is a bigger chamber thats why we swap them onto our blocks to lower CR for boost. The optima and sonata engine are identical.

Im trying to find the links and stuff to verify.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Now Ill have to correct myself. These are the 8g pistons at TDC

and the 7g one

and how its flush with the deck

I guess the ring of metal on the outside diameter of the piston makes the difference between 9.5 and 9.0. If that metal ring was there for the 8g pistons then they would be flush with the block. Im also guessing that the Sonata pistons are identical with the 7g pistons and thars why you called them "higher"

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post

Mystic posted this earlier g4js pistons at tdc. they stick out a little bit ive read on club3g.

If 270hp is acheivable i would definately make this an option when i buy my next 4G engine

"Triangle Circle Triangle Square"

Are you looking at the same thread that i am?

http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclip...ression-2.html

These are Kia Optima pistons, not Sonata

the guy says that the picture is taken without rod bearings installed, so they would be flush with the block when done.

Build Thread

Ok, question.

The Evo9 has the MIVEC option, right. What is the hardware that activates the Mivec in the actual head? Is it a simple solenoid thats pulls or pushes a lever, rod or whatever inside that switches to higher lift?

Build Thread

Are you looking at the same thread that i am?

http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclip...ression-2.html

These are Kia Optima pistons, not Sonata

the guy says that the picture is taken without rod bearings installed, so they would be flush with the block when done.
    Ok, question.

The Evo9 has the MIVEC option, right. What is the hardware that activates the Mivec in the actual head? Is it a simple solenoid thats pulls or pushes a lever, rod or whatever inside that switches to higher lift?
    sonata and kia pistons are the exact same thats why i say G4JS.
    and thats the one thread that i read it(piston) sits a bit higher then stock.

In theory im sure the mivec system shouldnt be too hard given if you understand wiring and have a schematic. There would also need to have a switch of some sort witch can simply switch over cam file by the voltage reading on your tachometer. or more sophisticatedly have a stand alone or if a F/IC could do it program it in.

blue8g
    Quote Originally Posted by BronxBlur23 View Post
    If 270hp is acheivable i would definately make this an option when i buy my next 4G engine
    lol to get 270 the engine would need so much work it wouldn't even be reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBlur23 View Post
    potentially can but it wouldnt be a good daily driver. The set up im dealing with are all daily drive set ups around 170-220whp. Now underated's engine build will/should make 270 to the wheels hopefully. Turbo is your best bet... running 270 whp N/A youll need mivec!

its all in the tune and less hardware.

BJ had fully built 3.5L with 11.0 CR and was around 225 hp.

Back in the day when i was subscribed to magazines, i used to read about little 1.6 hondas with 216 hp tuned with AEM EMS.

MItsubishis were never in this category since they are known for their boosted engines and being built as boosted engines and very few that are N/A
    Last edited by mko; 01-02-2011 at 07:59 PM

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    its all in the tune and less hardware.

BJ had fully built 3.5L with 11.0 CR and was around 225 hp.

Back in the day when i was subscribed to magazines, i used to read about little 1.6 hondas with 216 hp tuned with AEM EMS.

MItsubishis were never in this category since they are known for their boosted engines and being built as boosted engines and very few that are N/A
    +1

you will never make power with junk engine management. I bet an 11:1 CR on a 4G64 with a DOHC head and a cam grind meant for N/A and a good tune you can make 250whp easy. Maybe closer to 300whp if you had a custom intake manifold or ITB setup and a nice flowing exhaust manifold and system.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

If i ever want to have a high CR 7g screamer that would be very easy to achieve.

4g64 block
    Evo rods
    either the KIA or stock pistons (or even better option would be 8g pistons with custom rods)
    4g67 1.8L hyundai head (this is the big port 1g style head) fully polished and ported
    +1mm valves
    BC springs
    6g AMG cams
    Sheet metal intake manifold with Q45 90mm TB
    Some sort of piggy back controller (MAFT + SAFC) is my favorite for now.
    Stock tranny with just a LSD insert would be plenty.

Oh and for you 8g guys, get MAFTs and GM MAS'es. Believe me I had tremendous improvements over stock MAS when I was still N/A. It would spin tires just from the torque w/o dumping the clutch
    Last edited by mko; 01-02-2011 at 08:32 PM

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    See I would do all that except I would use a standalone or EVO ECU and flash it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Oh and for you 8g guys, get MAFTs and GM MAS'es. Believe me I had tremendous improvements over stock MAS when I was still N/A. It would spin tires just from the torque w/o dumping the clutch
    What do you think the benefits of the Gm MAS anf MAF-T on a stock motor with bolt ons be??

I dont know much about this set-up, but from what i have read on DSMTuners is that you need to tune it with it or it would just be worthless, am i correct with that??
    Last edited by mrg7243; 01-02-2011 at 10:44 PM

If i ever want to have a high CR 7g screamer that would be very easy to achieve.

4g64 block
    Evo rods
    either the KIA or stock pistons (or even better option would be 8g pistons with custom rods)
    4g67 1.8L hyundai head (this is the big port 1g style head) fully polished and ported
    +1mm valves
    BC springs
    6g AMG cams
    Sheet metal intake manifold with Q45 90mm TB
    Some sort of piggy back controller (MAFT + SAFC) is my favorite for now.
    Stock tranny with just a LSD insert would be plenty.

So i can basically if i wanted to be cheap go to the junk yard and pick up a gm MAF sensor?. then buy the translator, wire things up and tune it properly? i need to do more research but this interests me.

you can run larger injectors keeping the same fuel economy. Even if you have a high CR built motor that outflows the stock injectors and lets say youre running 450cc the MAFT will add fuel to compensate for the increased airflow.Tuning is a childs play, once you get the base tune, which is very simple, thats pretty much it. You can run stock injectors with no problem. Its plug and play, all you need is to tap for the rpm signal. Car runs nice and smooth. Its a perfect foundation for future boost application. It conceals as OEM equipment, and unless youre in the Mitsubishi game, its impossible to recognize as an aftermarket part which makes it perfect for you guys who have to pass visual inspection.

As I said, I ran this way before i went turbo and that was the best mod I had done at that time. No exhaust, no headers, no CAI or even larger TB helped as much the MAFT setup did. I can only imagine what would MAFT setup would do with a CAI, Diamante TB and 2.5'' exhaust....wonders. A setup i never actually have had by the way.

I had the GM MAS coming off the TB, sitting right there in the engine bay, 60mm TB and 3'' exhaust and it still kicked ass.

I cant say anything but good things about it.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power View Post
    So i can basically if i wanted to be cheap go to the junk yard and pick up a gm MAF sensor?. then buy the translator, wire things up and tune it properly? i need to do more research but this interests me.
    A simple base tune allowed me to run 5psi of boost, so a base tune would be more than enough for a N/A car.

I recommended this to Peanotation for his 7g. he got it but i dont think he has installed it yet.

Build Thread

Ill put the tuning options on hold till im closer enough to study them in detail.

But ok theres a bunch of G4JS heads sitting at the jy. But some things are keeping me from pulling it.
    1. question: why do i need a adjustable cam gear for one of the cams? as i heard it would be to fit the belt. but isnt the 4G64 DOHC belt identical to the G4JS?

2. question: Can i use a G4JS belt? i really need some ones expertnesses.

3. The only thing i would need from the evo is(cant remember the name) but are ecu cant read the G4JS one for timing. Where can i get this part?

Im pretty close too just running down there and pulling a head. All the sonatas in there are under 140k and the one i got my pistons was 86k.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ohc+parts+list

according to this thread says you need 2 evo cams do to the teeth count. But i have read others saying you only need one do to belt size?

Forget it swapping the head seams like a big project i dont have to much down time to be extending wires and shiz. I dont like touching my wires in the first place.
    Last edited by Exhaust power; 01-03-2011 at 09:39 PM

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast