The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: WTF i used search

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

WTF i used search

I searched three forums and over 50 threads and i cant find the answer to this shit.

I put the megan headers on and they dont have a conection to replace that part that comes out the rear head and into the exhaust down stream. I belive its the egr valve dump pipe.
    should i block it off or custom make a new one or stick my thimb in it . HELP HELP HELP. Im tempted to just bolt a Blowoff valvue onto it since they have the same connecting shape/bolt patter...........DOGG POOOOO...... as you can see im frustrated, brb gonna go kick the cat...............

lol! I said the same thing!

I made a block plate and used the original gasket to seal it up. I don't know the proper way, but after 4-5 months it seems like it was the right thing to do. Isn't it a emissions thing anyway?

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

if you blocked it off then you practically disabled the EGR from functioning correctly.

Is it throwing a CEL?

the only way I see is to custom fab it, if you want it to work of course
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    if you blocked it off then you practically disabled the EGR from functioning correctly.

Is it throwing a CEL?

the only way I see is to custom fab it, if you want it to work of course
    It hasn't thrown me a code yet.

Is there another way to fix it without a fab to the headers if it were to throw a code, just to get it working properly?

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Well,im sayin this from personal experience.

You can leave it open to suck air, but that air will be unmetered and soon it will start misfiring and throwing all kinds of codes. So what i did was to cut the bottom part, put a hose on it and then a bras reducer to about 6an(3/8'') hose and then that goes to the intake duct (CAI, SRI) behind the MAS, so whatever air goes thru it, its always measured. Also you need a check valve in that 6an hose, so you know the air travels one direction only - toward the intake manifold
    Last edited by mko; 11-16-2010 at 10:08 PM

Build Thread

In internal combustion engines, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduction technique used in petrol/gasoline and diesel engines.

EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. In a gasoline engine, this inert exhaust displaces the amount of combustible matter in the cylinder. This means the heat of combustion is less, and the combustion generates the same pressure against the piston at a lower temperature.[citation needed] In a diesel engine, the exhaust gas replaces some of the excess oxygen in the pre-combustion mixture.

Because NOx formation progresses much faster at high temperatures, EGR reduces the amount of NOx the combustion generates. NOx forms primarily when a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen is subjected to high temperature.

EGR in spark-ignited engines
    The exhaust gas, added to the fuel, oxygen, and combustion products, increases the specific heat capacity of the cylinder contents, which lowers the adiabatic flame temperature.

In a typical automotive spark-ignited (SI) engine, 5 to 15 percent of the exhaust gas is routed back to the intake as EGR. The maximum quantity is limited by the requirement of the mixture to sustain a contiguous flame front during the combustion event; excessive EGR in poorly set up applications can cause misfires and partial burns. Although EGR does measurably slow combustion, this can largely be compensated for by advancing spark timing. The impact of EGR on engine efficiency largely depends on the specific engine design, and sometimes leads to a compromise between efficiency and NOx emissions. A properly operating EGR can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
    Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
    Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is minor compared to the first two.
    It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via at least one more mechanism:

Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.
    EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output. This is because it reduces the intake charge density. EGR is also omitted at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle. The EGR valve also cools the exhaust valves and makes them last far longer (a very important benefit under light cruise conditions)

SO to my understanding the egr is to help the car at 15-30 mph in city driving conditions and during cold startups to warm up the engine faster, but if i get adjustable sparks and increase the gap then i dont need it?

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    SO to my understanding the egr is to help the car at 15-30 mph in city driving conditions and during cold startups to warm up the engine faster, but if i get adjustable sparks and increase the gap then i dont need it?

First part - yes
    second part - no

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Well,im sayin this from personal experience.

You can leave it open to suck air, but that air will be unmetered and soon it will start misfiring and throwing all kinds of codes. So what i did was to cut the bottom part, put a hose on it and then a bras reducer to about 6an(3/8'') hose and then that goes to the intake duct (CAI, SRI) behind the MAS, so whatever air goes thru it, its always measured. Also you need a check valve in that 6an hose, so you know the air travels one direction only - toward the intake manifold
    ima look into doing that too.....

Now all we need is a MOD to change the thread name and make it a sticky so others can figure out what to do when they change their headers......

MKO can you send me a link to where you got your parts for that reroute

I just cut the remainder of the tube and put a breather on the end. No codes.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile