The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: P0170 Fuel trim malfunction.

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

P0170 Fuel trim malfunction.

Here we go again, the Galant is throwing yet another code and this time it is P0170 Fuel trim Malfunction.

The code popped up while driving in Chicago bouncing like a bouncy ball because The city of Chicago doesnt know how to pave streets properly.

I have the Injen SRI on it and the bracket recently broke off. I have it supported via ziptie for the moment 'til I can fab up a new bracket for it. Though the intake bounces and the filter hits the frame rail when I hit bumps or shift hard.

I inspected the intake manifold and there are no cracks evident by the TB. The car seems to have good vacuum and is running properly. The only thing it is doing out of the ordinary is the temp starts to rise after having it run at idle for about 10 mins. The fans kick on to HIGH and the temp will only drop if I turn the heat on.

There is no wierd smell coming from the exhaust and I havent noticed a decrease in power. Exhaust note is normal as well.

Could a defective ECT cause this code to pop up? I know this code is also associated with 02 sensors on their last leg. Need some input. Any would be greatly appreciated!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Do you have a boost/vac gauge to say its holding vacuum good?

What about the exhaust leak before the o2 sensor. If you have a small leak the o2 sensor will measure air and feedback to the ECU to try and compensate for it, but since the extra air isnt metered by the MAS it throws the p0170 code. Or you front O2 sensor is going bad which is more likely
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I am actually trying to grab a boost gauge from a friend so I can make a makeshift vacuum tester. lol

I do have a leaking flex pipe, and more than likely a failing 02. 172xxx miles on it.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Kinda a old bump but i just threw the same code. Did you get yours fixed? if so what did you do?

Naw, the code disappeared. Though my fuel trims were at 18% when I had it on the scanner so the car was running lean.

As for the coolant temp issue. Make sure you have no leaks in the system. Some times that can cause things to over heat. Dont ask me why, I am only guessing based off of the many post on here I have seen in the past. Peeps would be over heating and notice a small leak, not even enough to spill on the ground. then the fixed it and things went back to normal. I would also do a coolant flush.

antraw
    What was the fix? Because mine has the same code.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk