The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1993 Galant turns over but wont start

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Icon9 1993 Galant turns over but wont start

Hi! My wife's 1993 Galant just up and stopped working a couple days ago. It turns over just fine but wont start up. My suspicion was a bad fuel pump or filter as they are original to the car from what I was told & I couldnt hear the fuel pump & didnt smell gas when turning the car over.

Anyhow, I also wanted to check spark so I popped some starter spray in the air intake, cranked the car and nothing. If my innitial theory= was correct it shoulda started & then died out from no fuel but it did not start from the starter spray either. I then pulled a spark plug cable, stuck a screw driver into the cable & held that to a steel bolt in the engine cavity and did not get any spark jumping across.

So now I am thinking it is something electrical so I checked fuses but was confused by the wording/fusebox diagram as I didnt see any fuse or relay for the distributor or fuel pump directly labeled (what is ECS mean etc?) - most were for the heater, dash, lamps, (ECS) etc. ... none the less they all looked clean & unbroken.

Is it a bad distributor? What else would you guys be looking at or perhaps I looked at the wrong fuse/relay?

The haynes manual for this vehicle is vague at best & the owners manual is useless, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! so much :)
    Last edited by 1993Galant; 11-23-2010 at 06:46 PM

TGC Regular
    look at the fuel pump concettion for corrison. The fuel filter should be located on the firewall. It's real easy to replace. Ecs should be ur electrionic controlled suspison. On ur dash do you have a box liking thing to the right of ur dash. Not all 6gen's have that.

The fuel pump looks pretty corroded & dirty under the car. The filter exterior looks fine.

It worries me that I didnt get spark. Perhaps I tested wrong?

Also, what fuse should I be checking (if any)? There is no fuse labeled Fuel pump or distributor etc.

Thanks.

TGC Regular
    clean the corrison off. I will check my haynes manual about the fuses

Hello, had the same problem with my 1993 Galant...The fuel pump relay was the problem, which is another problem..The fuel pump relay is built into the ECM (Engine Control Module). I sent my ECM to ECM's to go, located in Florida..They rebuilt the ECM for 225 dollars..Car cranks and runs good now.