The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Heads up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

Heads up!

Due to my creative way of changing the timing belt, I am now in need of rebuilt heads.
    If anyone knows of shops that are both reputable and reasonable I would very much appreciate it.
    Than you.
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

any good shop should be able to, but i ONLY recommend a dealership for something like that.

Ive seen FAR too many aftermarket shops do exactly what happened to you.

It should be a simple thing, so if you have a tech you trust, let him do it.

Thanks manybrews, but I am not sure I know what you are reffering to?

Should I buy rebuilt heads from a dealer or should I have these heads rebuilt by a dealer?

i meant have the dealer do the work.

unless you plan on doing it yourself. In which case i would suggest you ask around wherever you live to find out what machine shops have the highest quality work around you.

Right got it.
    I can take the heads on and off myself, I have no place to do the work because I converted my shop (read basement) into a wood working shop and I could probably cover things up to work on the heads, but only if its worth the cost.
    I am going to add an extension to my garage in the summer to do automotive work but that don't help me none now.
    I live in NJ , one and a half miles from Lincoln tunnel, on the river, so if anyone knows a good shop in the area I would appreciate it.
    I have seen a few shops advertised on the Internet and they run around $400 to $500 dollars for rebuilt heads.
    To me that doesn't seem all that unreasonable, but I know nothing of Gallants (well, now I know not to turn over an interference engine that doesn't have the timing belt on LOL)
    How much does a set of stock valves run?

the best shop ive ever used (which is local to me, im afraid.. i dont know if they ship nationally) is called headwerks, and the average repair for a 4 cylinder head when its been smashed is about 500 bucks.

you may need more than just valves, as there is the possibility of cracked guides and seats, too.

Experienced TGC Member
    While on the subject of rebuilding heads....Is there anyway to check the "sealing" power of a valve while the heads out of the engine? Some kind of pump that fits around the valve seat that lets you press air and measure if it leaks?

Feel free to poke fun at my stupidity.

Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Experienced TGC Member
    While on the subject of rebuilding heads....Is there anyway to check the "sealing" power of a valve while the heads out of the engine? Some kind of pump that fits around the valve seat that lets you press air and measure if it leaks?

Feel free to poke fun at my stupidity.

Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Jip that would be very nice, then you can do a comp. test on the heads without putting them on the block.
    It would sure come in handy at ajunk yard.

yes, of course there is a way. ANY quality machine shop can test for proper sealing with the head off of the car.
    and, in fact, if theyre a good shop they will check automatically.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>yes, of course there is a way. Â*ANY quality machine shop can test for proper sealing with the head off of the car.
    and, in fact, if theyre a good shop they will check automatically.</div>

Well, how do they do it?
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, how do they do it?</div>

They bolt it to a machine and either pressurize it or pull vacuum on it. I don't remember which. Than they see if it holds and to what extent it holds. Finding a good machine shop is a pain. I'm looking for a good one myself...one that knows how to work on something other than Mustang engines. I hate GA

Hey Jip do you know a good local shop that does the heads?

So I am reading Chilton's and I notice that they mention that you have to hold the rocker arm springs to the cam, so they don't fall out.
    That's all fine and good, but then they mention a part number:
    MD998443 and I'm thinking WTF?

Is that a Mitsubishi part number?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>So I am reading Chilton's and I notice that they mention that you have to hold the rocker arm springs to the cam, so they don't fall out.
    That's all fine and good, but then they mention a part number:
    MD998443 and I'm thinking WTF?

Is that a Mitsubishi part number?</div>
    yes. theyre little springs that hold the lifters in the end of the rocker arms.
    you wont be able to reinstall the rockers without those little springs.

Manybrews

So where do I get this from a dealer?
    Is there another part that would fit like from Autozone of Pepboys?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>Manybrews

So where do I get this from a dealer?
    Is there another part that would fit Â*like from Autozone of Pepboys?</div>
    yes, you get them from the dealership (or OTC directly, i think).

I really doubt a place like pep-boys would carry anything like that. In fact, im sure if you go there and ask, they will not have the faintest idea what youre talking about.

Experienced TGC Member
    Sorry don't know any machine shops at all.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

MAnybrews, what doyou mean OTC ? Over the counter?

By the way I found a shop on e-bay that does heads, they seem to have a good feeback, and I e-mailed someone that got heads from them a few months back and the guy is realy happy. Best of all they quoted me $285.
    I thin they're called CCLHeads.

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'> what doyou mean OTC ? Over the counter?</div>

I think that's the name of the company that makes the tools for Mitsu. Though, I've found in the past it's really not worth the money to buy a "factory tool" for your own personal use, as you're likely to use it only once. You can usually use another tool and some inginuity and get the same results. It's best if you can just borrow one from somebody.

And if you want to find a good machine shop, go to your local performance engine builders and ask them what machine shop they use. That's one of the easiest ways, since they've got a lot riding on the quality of the machine shop they use, they're gonna find the good ones. (usually, but finding two separate people who both recommend the same machine shop is a good idea) And when you do find a good machine shop, ask to see some of their previous work and judge from that. A well machined head looks like it just came from the factory, only more smooth. If you can see machining marks it's often not a good sign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast