The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Heads up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 41
    Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>So I am reading Chilton's and I notice that they mention that you have to hold the rocker arm springs to the cam, so they don't fall out.
    That's all fine and good, but then they mention a part number:
    MD998443 and I'm thinking WTF?

Is that a Mitsubishi part number?</div>
    yes. theyre little springs that hold the lifters in the end of the rocker arms.
    you wont be able to reinstall the rockers without those little springs.</div>

How do springs hold the lifters to the rocker arm if the springs are set between each rocker arm on the shaft?

The tool he's talking about is lash adjuster retainer. I seen a pic of it just looks like a bend piece of sheet metal to me. Could probably make it for $1.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

I think that you're both right, it is lash adjuster, and its definitely not worth buying tools from a car company.
    Though I tell I fell into this Gallant by pure chance and I think I'm hooked so I may use it more then once. LOL

I see the pic in the Chilton and I really can't tell what it is.
    I'll take a look when I remove the valve cover and see if I can figure it out.
    Jip if you got a pic of one that would be great.
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

Experienced TGC Member
    http://www.ecanfix.com/users/manualcd/gift/dsm/

Get this file:
    2g_2.4l_engine_overhaul_spyder.pdf

Its from the manual cd, (scanned copy of mitsu manual.)
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Kain
    Quote Originally Posted by jiul
    Gallant
    GALANT! One L!

Sorry, I just hate it when people spell it wrong.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain
    Gallant
    GALANT! One L!

Sorry, I just hate it when people spell it wrong.
    I think Kain is just posting to make his total posts higher.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Galllant?
    Spell check goes to double "L" automaticalllly.

LLOLL

Experienced TGC Member
    Jiul what part of nyc do you live?

In all of ny you cant find a machine shop or someone who knows a good machine shop?
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Jip, just like you I didn't know one. But a friend mentioned one not far from me, I am calling them later.
    I no longer live in NYC I moved accross the river to my hose in North Bergen, not that it matters, because any shop in the five boroughs is obviously not too far.

Experienced TGC Member
    Now would be a perfect time to do the headswap!! LOL
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Whaaa?

Do you mean to DOHC?
    If so, don't think that I am not seriously considering it. I just bought a gen 1 turbo intake manifold, and I am looking for a gen1 exhaust manifold.
    And if I come accross a set of DOHC heads in good shape I would be happier then a pig in s....

Kain
    Of course to DOHC (though you're gonna want a 2g not a 1g) Also, the Intake maniflold you have won't bolt to the SOHC head. And when you say 1g exhaust manifold, do you mean a turbo manifold? 'cuz the exhaust manifolds for the 1g N/A motors are the same as what's already on the car.

Turbo of course.

Jip, its a first gen turbo intake, what do you mean it won't fit?
    You mean on the SOHC or on the DOHC?

Experienced TGC Member
    Jip, its a first gen turbo intake, what do you mean it won't fit?
    You mean on the SOHC or on the DOHC?
    I didnt say it, Kain did. And I disagree with Kain and am doing a 1g headswap not 2g. Why do you think 2g is better?

As for you Jiul, intake manifolds dont swap, the exhaust do. So your intake will only fit on the 1g or 2g dohc head, not any sohc head, the bolts dont match up. And the 1g exhaust manifold is crappy from what I hear, I too have a 1g exhuast manifold thats in very good shape, but they are known to crack easily, so I dont expect this one to last too long when I go turbo.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Hey Jip this thing looked in so good a shape that for $40 I couldn't pass it up.....
    I was told that the first gen has bigger ports then second gen, is that not true?

If it crakcs....hey I'll just buy anoher one, a second gen LOL.

Now let me ask you this if you don't mind, what should I expect to pay for DOHC heads?

Experienced TGC Member
    The 1st gen intake ports are larger then 2nd gen..the exhuast manifolds Im not sure.

You can pick up a head off ebay sometimes for less then $200 with all the insides and cams. From a junkyard I dont know. But theres more then just bolting on the head its not complicated stuff but many things to consider. I still need a few more kinda important parts before I can swap but I need a job so I stopped buying crap until I find one.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Kain
    A 2g head is better for the '64 block because you'll get better low end torque. The 1g head will feel less powerful in the lower end of the power band where you actually keep the engine most of the time. But it's a matter of choice really. The 1g intake side flows better, the 2g exhaust side flows better. Most people use 1g intake stuff, and 2g exhaust stuff. I think the best combo is a 2g head, 1g TB, 1g intake mani, 2g turbo mani.

I was also saying the 1g intake mani won't bolt to the SOHC head, with DOHC 1g and 2g are interchangable. Whew....confusing thread

Jip, I've been rading about the swap, especially one web sitethat I think belongs to someone who posts here too, it called 4g64.com, I am sure you know it, so I'm begining to get an idea of the swap.

Manybrews, thanks for srting that straight, it is confusing.

Experienced TGC Member
    4g64.com been gone for a while now they lost the site payment issues I believe. The guys also on another group I post on. Nothing really complicated about the headswap aside from getting the timing belt on correctly! LOL

But we cant use the distributer so that calls for an ecu swap. Unless I get my DIS converter to work...
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Hey Kaine thanks for the info on the 1g vs 2g, I gave manybrews credit for that one sorry .

Jip, I just tried to go to the site and couldn't get on it. Did it just close down 'cause I went on it not long ago....man that was a good site.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast