The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: So i have to get emissions done and...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    i wonder if i would be able to pass if i just tell the inspector what i have done and if the only code that comes up is the one from the swap...its not like its anything even to do with emissions either, i guess its worth a shot to just say yeah this car was automatic and now its manual so the computer doesnt recognize the fact that it has a manual transmission
    Bryan - TGCWI - 6g72 5 speed

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3376567

Quote Originally Posted by bsilver23 View Post
    i wonder if i would be able to pass if i just tell the inspector what i have done and if the only code that comes up is the one from the swap...its not like its anything even to do with emissions either, i guess its worth a shot to just say yeah this car was automatic and now its manual so the computer doesnt recognize the fact that it has a manual transmission
    I'm wondering the same, ill let u be the guinea pig if it works or not lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

might as well give it a shot. the worst that happens is i get a fail and have to come back again. but see, usually when you fail you will have to get whatever is wrong fixed and then you come back. there really isnt a way to fix my car unless it goes back to an automatic so...yeah and that sure as hell isnt happenin ha

This is mad illegal, but you could take the bulb out of the cluster so the guy who will test you wont see the light. Take it in to get tested and see. Though, they will see the code, idk if a trans code will fail you.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

yeah could try it haha...what about taking out the fuse too?

^that would in turn throw another code no?
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

in theory if you reset the computer without the fuse in and drove it 12 minutes to the station then the code would be for a fuse, in that case all other codes would have been properly reset.During inspection when fuse comes up you could replace the fuse and have it signed off that it was fixed on spot during inspection. that way you wont throw a tranny fault code just a fuse code and car wont throw code while in park during test.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    in theory if you reset the computer without the fuse in and drove it 12 minutes to the station then the code would be for a fuse, in that case all other codes would have been properly reset.During inspection when fuse comes up you could replace the fuse and have it signed off that it was fixed on spot during inspection. that way you wont throw a tranny fault code just a fuse code and car wont throw code while in park during test.
    i like that idea very much i will just make sure to bring an extra fuse with me

well i went to get tested today and, of course, i got the 5 codes from the auto to manual swap. i kindly asked the technician what he thinks i should do about them since they do not relate to emissions and that they are simply all from the fact that i changed my car from automatic to manual.

he replies, "i cant do anything about it, see what the dealership says" and he waves in the next car w/o even letting me respond.

i flipped on his douchebag remark by telling him, "do you even know one thing about cars you a** hole, these codes are for a 'transmission'- do you know what the f**k that is? huh, i knew i was going to fail when i came here today considering i have had this service engine soon light on for the past 6 months, and obviously it is an automatic fail with the light on.

he didnt say a word just acting like he was ignoring me so i just drove off

i know that the only way i am going to permanently get rid of the SES light is to swap ecus, but is there something that i could do as a quick fix just to pass emissions and get my plate renewed?

Just bite the bullet and swap them...
    -Andrew

^LOL F NO! it would be eaiser to swap the ecu......

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

yeah i might just end up swapping ecus but my plates are already expired lol

LOL well you can still drive the car to the place to get your tags right?

ive been driving it haha it expired in november, i get real nervous if a cop comes near me

dude lol

Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    ^LOL F NO! it would be eaiser to swap the ecu......
    HELLL NAWW. Swap back to auto? No way I'd suggest that... I meant the ECUs man. Haha

If i was that crazy, i'd be in a straight jacket... Oh wait, the men in white scrubs are coming
    Quote Originally Posted by bsilver23 View Post
    ive been driving it haha it expired in november, i get real nervous if a cop comes near me
    Dude I stay nervous around da fuzz
    -Andrew

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok I do state inspections in New York so the rules might be different than your home state. If you were out here you would just have to fail the first inspection. Then get a bill from a shop ****Fake bill**** saying you spent $450 to repair the problem. Once you go back and fail the 2nd inspection you would get a waiver for the $450 you just spent to repair the problem. In all you would spend $80 to get your waiver and just need a shop willing to make you a fake bill. Hope it helps...
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12