The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: electrical problem? help?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    galant_of_distortion

Icon4 electrical problem? help?

ok so i got this problem with the galant, its a 98 es. car wont turn over or any electrical device in the car wont turn on. i replaced the alternator, alt. fuse, battery. only thing i havent touched is the starter. cause i dont believe thats the problem. headlights arent turning on or power locks arent working. batt is good. but there is a continious clicking noise coming from the fuse box in the engine bay whenever i turn it to the accesory on the ignition checked every one of the fuses in there and all of them are good. battery and brake light has been on scince i got the car like 4 months ago. but replaced all the things above.. idk whats going on i hate messing with electrical. hope you guys can help.

galant_of_distortion
    no one?

maybe the blew ecu ok did you put the starter toggle back on there correcly

Mine was doing some strange things when the small wire that plugs into the starter disconnected.

yeah if its 5speed or auto its need to be tight on there

galant_of_distortion
    i havent touched the starter. it looks like its tight on there though, it seems as like if the battery isnt passing current to the alternator and the altermator isnt hodling charge and distribuating it.nothing turns on in the car. no lights nothing. how do i know if the ecu blew out? and where is it located at? the thing i find strange is the ticking or clicking coming from the fuse box its like if it has a short or something.

Need more information about your problem and what it is doing. In the four months you have had the car, has it ever worked properly? If so what happened when it started acting up.

I assume your car is an automatic and you have not done a 5 speed swap. Is this true?

You wrote the battery and brake light has been on since you got the car. Do you mean the idiot lights on the dash for battery and brake have been on?

Tell us what electrical things are working:

For the following four questions do not insert the key in the ignittion,
    1. Does the light in the door panels turn on when the dorr is opened?
    2. Does the door ajar idiot light turn on when the door is opened?
    3. Does your dome light work? If not flip the switch on the dome light to be sure it is set to on?
    4. Does your trunk light turn on if you open the trunk?

Now with the key out of the ignition, what happens if you turn the headlights on? Do your tail lights come on? Do the front marked lights come on? FYI These lights should turn on without the key in the ignition but the headlights themsleves should not.

Now with the key in the ignition, turn it to acc. What happens? Turn off all the accessories (radio, heat blower, headlights) and one at a time, try turning them on to see if they work.

Now turn the key all the way to attempt to start the car. What happens?

RE: Clicking from the fuse box under the hood when you turn the key on. You can pull each fuse one by one while it is clicking until you identify which one is causing it. You'll know which circuit it is because the clicking will stop when you pull the fuse for the circuit that is causing it. Tell us what circuit it is.

FYI: The only things I know of that click on our 7g Galants are 1) the starter when the voltage from the battery is too low to spin the starter, 2) the air recirculation motor behind the glove box when it fails and 3) a bad CV joint when you make a turn.
    Last edited by eksz; 11-26-2010 at 08:35 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

There are two wiring attachments to the starter; One bolts to the side of the starter and the other clips on to a small fitting. A bad ground can cause starter problems.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Did it start before you changed alternator? I am guessing it didn't. You checked fuses in both fuse boxes under hood and under dash? Does it have an aftermarket anti-theft or alarm? Even if you don't think it does look under the dash for a rats nest of sloppy wiring. I don't know how may trash cans I have filled w/ bad amateur wiring from stereos, lights, auto-starts and alarms. Use a battery terminal tool and wire brush to make sure the battery terminals are super clean as well as any bolt down branch wires at the terminals.

it sounds like bad ground or positive wires
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread