The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to change front engine mount

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

How to change front engine mount

I am needing to change my front engine mount, and wanted to find out how to do it, so I can assess if I will do it myself or take it to a shop. So, is it easy, and what tools do I need?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    I4 or v6? v6 is really easy not sure about the I4. More info please.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

I'm wondering which mount you are talking about. If you are looking to replace the front roll mount on the lower cross member, it is very easy. 4 bolts hold the cross member to the underside of the car, and one bolt holding the mount to the transmission. Removal takes about 5 minutes.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

It's the front one on the crossmember. Do I have to jack the car up to get to it? My main problem is I am limited on tools to do the job..

And if u jack up the engine aswell its even easyer ;)

You need to support the engine. With a jack. The v6 is 2 17's front crossmember bolts 2 15's rear crossmember bolts drop crossmember 15's n 14's to remove the mount. Maybe 15 min total.

FreakyDeaky

Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Ok, so support engine with jack, remove crossmember, replace mount, reinstall crossmember, done? No need to place the car on stands?

Quote Originally Posted by emcwill792 View Post
    Ok, so support engine with jack, remove crossmember, replace mount, reinstall crossmember, done? No need to place the car on stands?
    if the tires are in the air and you want to kill yourself then surely don't put the car on jackstands.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by emcwill792 View Post
    I would as a safty thing cuz you'll never know if the jack fails. N yeah pretty much. N some strength too lol bolts could be tight. lol

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

no need tobut yo can for saftey. suppurt the engine....and dont put the jack stand under the oil pan

Maybe I should rephrase =)

Are all bolts accessable with the car on the ground with just the engine supported by a jack, or will the car need to be raised and then engine supported by a jack?

The reason why I'm asking on here is safety and to make sure I do it right :)
    Last edited by emcwill792; 12-01-2010 at 12:31 PM

Jubeiaire, where is the best place to put the jack stand then?

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    no need tobut yo can for saftey. suppurt the engine....and dont put the jack stand under the oil pan
    Best place to put it is either between engine and gearbox, mostly on the gearbox or on the diff in the back of the engine. I used the last one when i was changing the bolt in the backmount

Car gotta be up in the air jack up the car place jackstands on the sides forget the actual names n use the jack itself to support the engine place the jack where the engine n tranny meet. Thats what I did.

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Ok, now i understand better, thank you =)

jost1777
    Hey are those energy suspension engine mounts easy to install? I mean are they just a swap out like the OEM ones. You guys make it sound easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jost1777 View Post
    Hey are those energy suspension engine mounts easy to install? I mean are they just a swap out like the OEM ones. You guys make it sound easy.
    This is random haha.

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed