The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help with 5-spd problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 22 of 22
    Proto
    Had the same problem with my GS trans, got stuck in 2nd though. Ended up trashing it.

I pulled trans and decided to remove the trans end case to see if I could determine why the trans locked up on me. I expected to find the end nut had come loose but it was still in place and tight. The lower shaft was another story. It just fell off in my hand; the shaft itself had broken in half. I assume this is why the trans popped out of 3rd and 5th gear previously and why it ultimately locked up (impossible for me to shift in/out of gear).

This trans was in the car when the #1 piston self destructed and killed the engine. I didn't own the car when the original engine died but assume the engine just came to a shuddering stop when the piston rod went thru the side of the block. I think when that happened it also severely damaged the lower shaft in the trans. The story about the engine is listed in the graveyard thread entitled, Fail:94GS DOHC (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=44030)

jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12