The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: doin some stuff. need input

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    chevyfan87

doin some stuff. need input

i have a 1998 LS, looking to do some modifications... tell me what you think
    im planning on EBC slotted and dimpled rotors with their top of the line pads, KYB GR-2 struts,
    1in drop springs(maybe)
    Kamikaze makes a CAI for the 7g supposedly

what is involved with a dohc swap? i read ad searched alot... and its never consistent. please break it down

also, does a 1g header fit? what modifications would i need to it?

im interested in a 5spd swap, but that way out of my range

anything else?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    5 speed swap is by far the best upgrade you can do.

get a cheap intake and make something custom

the 96-98 headers are fine honestly, but a stock upgrade is said to be the eclipse soyder header, the 1g header fits but there is modification needed.

dohc swap is pretty straight forward and there is a link in the tutorial section that has every part needed down to the last bolt to do the swap
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

EBC is shit! I recommend using brembo slotted with akebono or hawk pads. I had ebc pads and under normal driving they wore out in about 6 months! They stopped on a dime and shit but it was pointless seeing as I needed new pads so soon. So skip the crap. If you are dropping the car and only want springs, go with eibach. A little lower of a drop, very comfortable yet sporty feel. KYB AGX adjustables are a plus as well...4 way up front and 8 way in back helps you go from a soft comfort to a stiff low body roll setup for canyon carving or track days if you do so. And as far as the head swap....like ^^^he said, there are more than enough tutorials here to read on it and what to do

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Your stock header is one of the best leave it alone. As G10 said you can find it on a Spyder or at least from what I have found only the 98 Galant. O'reilley/Schucks has a bolt-on adapter for cai from there just some cheap pipe(black abs works good if you don't care about looks). Throttle body from a 1g and port match or better yet Diamante. A cleaned out cat works well or a test pipe to swap out between inspections.

chevyfan87
    well, thanks for the input on the header. not doing that now...
    i cant afford the AGX shocks... gr-2s are my price limit... minimum wage with hours being cut is a bad time.
    still got car stuff to do though.

back to the technical stuff...
    any recomendations on an exhaust? maine is pretty strict on it, so i was just gonna delete the resonator, either punch or test pipe the cat, and get like a flowmaster or cherry bomb extreme muffler.

cops around here dont like the fart cans

that kamikaze CAI is 175 at andysautosport.com will it actually fit?
    found my drop springs there too... dont know how much drop i want. 1.8" is actually cheaper than 1" springs

im running 205-55-16s so please keep that in mind with suspension suggestions. i cant be having any tire clearance issues

what are the true benefits of the DOHC swap? it is more upgradeable with cams and such correct?

chevyfan87
    thought you guys might like some pics to with it. so heres my baby. shes a bit messed up but im workin on it

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    dont delete the resonator it gives us a lower exhaust note i have a flowmaster muffler on mine now and it sounds great

car sounds a little different now but basically the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXY5bO0oGI4
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by chevyfan87 View Post
    im running 205-55-16s so please keep that in mind with suspension suggestions. i cant be having any tire clearance issues

what are the true benefits of the DOHC swap? it is more upgradeable with cams and such correct?
    Couple of things...dont go cheap doin the exhaust....thats when you get the "fart can" you speak of. Just save up and do that last.

As far as 205's....you will not have a rubbing issue at all, I am running (lowered) 215's and have no issues so...I am even going wider when I get a chacne. I am gonna go with 225's and I think you can go as wide as 255's with little problem.

DOHC...will bump HP without doing anything. Stock SOHC was rated at 141 hp and 160hp for the DOHC. Then yes there is the options of adjustable cam gears and cams so its definately a better option

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"