The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Headlight switch?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Headlight switch?

I was driving down the road when without warning my headlights whent out. When they did the battery and break light came on. I looked at it for about 5min and decided to try the brights. They worked so I drove home with them. Although they did look dim I'm thinking that was because the lowbeams were not on.

1 is there a fuse for low beam headlights?

2 what are the chances that this is the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Use a multi meter to check all your fuses start the car and check each one, walmart has a multi meter for like 12 buck that beeps when there is connection all you do it put the two prongs on the top of the fuse where the metal sticks up a bit and see if it beeps this way you don't have to pull each one. Takes about five to ten mins to complete

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Harbor freight has 'em cheaper and i can point you to a coupon for a free one
    -Andrew

Alternator?
    -Andrew

I just replaced the altinator so I hope that's not what it is.lol. Knowing my luck that's what it is.

Use a voltage tester right on the battery posts. With car idling it should be charging at over 13.5 volts even with all the accessories and lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Use a voltage tester right on the battery posts. With car idling it should be charging at over 13.5 volts even with all the accessories and lights on.
    Did you lose power to anything else?

That'll tell you right there.
    -Andrew

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Sounds like a alty problem but i would check fuse first
    03 I4

sounds like a fuse problem to me. But in the same respect, I think the headlight fuse works for both high and low beams. The headlight fuse is a 15 amp....definately start there and then move to the "harder" stuff. Even if the alternator goes bad it wouldnt make the lights cut out while the car was running I dont think.

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Well I think that if it was the alternator it would have done other things too. The radio still worked, heater blower, interior light. Under the hood there is a fuse labled high beams but I could not find one for low. I drove aboul 30mls like this stoped and go for about 5 and full speed the rest of the way. Idk what it is but I'm going to look around today. Thanks and keep them coming.

Not the Alternator. If it was the alternator you'd had lost everything and eventually the car would just stop running. I broke an alternater belt and tried to drive to the parts house to get a replacement. I only got 15 miles down the road before the car just shut down from draining the battery without it being re-charged b y the alternator.

Here's an off the wall suggestion. If you had one low beam head light already burnt out and the other just died it would appear as if you just suddenly lost your low beam headlights. Many folks drive around not realizing they have a head light out. Try switching out one of the low beam bulbs.
    Last edited by eksz; 12-12-2010 at 04:41 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

They were both burnt out. I don't know it the other one went yesterday day too or not but I know that they both worked a few days ago. I hope that it's just because they blew.

but if you got dash lights at the same time....its gotta be a fuse. Simply saying that cus we dont have monitors for that. So I still say its the fuse....you rocking HIDs? They rarely go out and never both at the same time, so again I think its a fuse issue. its in the fuse box under the hood (just in case you didnt know, which I am sure you did) 15 amp

98Galant,
    Clarify what you have on your car; OEM stock headlights and bubs or HIDs
    --If OEM headlights try replacing one bulb and see if it works.
    --If HIDs, check the wiring by the lights for an "extra" in line fuse or a broken connection and as evil-G-nius wrote, check the fuse box under the hood.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

It is my new alternator. The voltage regular went out and blew the bulbs and now my car won't start or anything. Going to exchange it Tuesday. Thanks guys. Also I have oem headlights. I remembered that I had just checked to see if they were even siting at the store before I took off.

u should of tested the alternator at the store when u bought it

Quote Originally Posted by spencer0791 View Post
    u should of tested the alternator at the store when u bought it
    Well its a little late for that isnt it.lol jk

I had a new alternator go bad after about 2 months. was awefule because the voltage regulator got stuck and it caused my battery to be overcharged. of course the battery boiled over spitting acid all over my engine bay. Chemical burns everywhere. Sucked.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

My alternator (always) is weak. I mean when I first turn on the car it runs at between 10 and maybe 12 volts. When I rev the car to 2500 or so it hits 13-14 volts where it should be. It has ALWAYS done this and I have no idea why. ANyone?