The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AMSoil 5w30 or 10w40

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

AMSoil 5w30 or 10w40

I am going to start changing my own oil and am looking at buying the 5w30 or 10w40 API certified oil.

My 2003 2.4L has 106,000 miles and I live in Colorado Springs.

Should I be getting 10w40 or will 5w30 work fine?

5w-30 pennzoil works fine with mine

"Triangle Circle Triangle Square"

5w30, no other weight is necessary.

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    I run 10w-40 sinCe I have high mileage
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3T8G View Post
    I run 10w-40 sinCe I have high mileage
    No need. Whoever said you'd needed to is crazy. 5w30 is adequate. It is all I've ever run in any of my vehicles (two of which had close to 200k when I got rid of them).

Quote Originally Posted by ngwylie View Post
    I am going to start changing my own oil and am looking at buying the 5w30 or 10w40 API certified oil.

dude where at in the springs i live on peterson????? we need to do a meet.

I run 10w-30 valvoline, but i need to step down to 5w-30, the cold starts are harder with 10w.

i ran 5-30 till i went turbo then went to 10-40 to keep from breaking down the oil to quickly unless your real rough or high performance 5-30 should be fine.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

Quote Originally Posted by reiketsutsukigami View Post
    i ran 5-30 till i went turbo then went to 10-40 to keep from breaking down the oil to quickly unless your real rough or high performance 5-30 should be fine.
    Not to sound like a jerk...but on what basis did you make this decision?

A good synthetic like 5w30 AMSoil doesn't break down earlier than a 10w40 AMSoil. Oil weight/viscosity has less to do with it than you think. The additive package is the biggest factor in prolonged lubricant and cooling performance.

....i see...i was taking a friends advice who has been turbo for years now. but im going to guess i was given bad info then? the sorry about my lack of info i believed that to be correct please ignore my earlier post then.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf

Hmm another Co galant :P we ALL need to meet.
    And im boosted and run Mobil1 5w-30 full synthetic and its been great.
    Last edited by Ivory8g; 12-11-2010 at 12:48 AM
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Quote Originally Posted by reiketsutsukigami View Post
    ....i see...i was taking a friends advice who has been turbo for years now. but im going to guess i was given bad info then? the sorry about my lack of info i believed that to be correct please ignore my earlier post then.
    No, I am by no means a super expert in Oil. But I've known quite a bit of car people, and no one I've known has run anything but 5w30, unless it was only a race car. Hell, a couple of my old mechanics had 9sec Mustangs, they always ran 5w30. And my good buddy Rich had a 04 Mustang Cobra (which is supercharged) always ran 5w30 (or 5w20). Then a few local tuners in Chicago I know run almost exclusively AMSoil or Mobil One 5W30, or if anything 0w40. The recurring theme for most of these guys though, is that they are running AMSoil or Mobil One synthetic oils. No conventional oils period.

i see so far ive only run castrol syntech 10-40 maybe ill try a 5-30 at my next change
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf

Aight thank you for all the responses... I'll go with AMSoil 5w30.

An off topic question

I've asked my mechanic before about turbo on an engine and he said you can only put turbo on an engine with little or no miles, is this true?

..put my turbo on at 100k and it hasnt given me a problem for the last 6k.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf

Could you give me a range of how much it costs to turbo your engine? And his main concern was that my engine would crap out because it would be too much wear and tear on it

Price range is impossible to tell until you know HOW much boost you wanna run, what kinda turbo you wanna run, total whp.

You know, your goals with it, there are alot of different combinations that will differ in cost, and of course time as well as ALOT of research. Use the search button and happy camping lol there's alot of turbo info here.

An off topic question

I've asked my mechanic before about turbo on an engine and he said you can only put turbo on an engine with little or no miles, is this true?
    No offense to him...but get a different mechanic. You can put a turbo on any engine, of any age, or miles.

Funny you say that because I posted a bit ago about a mishap with my mechanic. I already left him, lol.