The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 97 5 speed problem

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    slomofo

97 5 speed problem

Ok heres the scoop I have a 97 5 speed de I was driving down the highway with the fam going to seaworld when I stopped to pay a toll and I put it in first and just revd really high and would barley move ..then started going and I'm trying to get off the highway and I'm doing about 50 when I notice I'm dropping speed and go to a dead stop..I try to put it in every gear and it just revvs and doesn't move...does that mean I have to change the clutch? This is the first time this happen to me the car drove fine before that

does it go in gear at all?
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

slomofo
    U can put it in every gear it just doesn't move

you can put it in any gear while the engine is running?

Build Thread

slomofo
    Yes sir

slomofo
    Anyone..I need my car asap to get to work please help

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    adjust the clutch master rod in, it may be too far out, clutch may be going as well. get an exedy clutch kit, they are cheap and stock clutch is exedy in our cars
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

1. Open your hood and look at the transmission. Are the two cables still attached to the shifter linkage on the top of the trans? (I assume they are but have to start with the basics)

2. With trans in neutral, engine running and clutch pressed in, are there any unusual noised coming from the trans?

3. Now with trans in neutral, engine running let the clutch out, are there any unusual noised coming from the trans? What happens when the clutch is let out? Do the rpms change? Do they drop when the clutch is let out (keep trans in neutral)?

4. With engine running, shift into 1st and start easing the clutch out. What happens? Any strange noises?
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

If you have a Haynes manual go to page 8-5 to see how to measure/set the clutch pedal height. How high is the top of the clutch pedal from the floor of the car? Should be 7 to 7.1 inches. This measurement will tell you if you need to adjust the clutch master rod.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

slomofo
    Both are still connnected to the shifter linkage.when in neutral with clutch in or out no noises the rpms to drop just a little bit almost unnoticable and I push the clutch in and put it in 1st and ease the clutch out and no noises or anything u can put it in every gear even reverse and let the clutch out and it doesn't stall or anything u can take it in and out of gear without even pushing the clutch in

You may be having a bad transmission. You can take it out and inspect the clutch.

Inspect if the any of the axles have popped out.

Put the car in 4th gear and and try to take off. If it does then the input shaft has crapped out.

Put it in 2nd gear and try to take off. Does the speedometer move? If it does, you have a axle problem, if it doesnt then you differential is shot
    Last edited by mko; 12-15-2010 at 11:39 PM

Build Thread

I'm thinking either the clutch is completely gone, the throwout bearing or pressure plate is somehow locked up so the clutch can't engage or most likely something internal in the trans is fouled up. Either way, trans is going to have to be dropped.

Unless you find a clutch/throwout bearing/pressure plate problem probably the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to just replace the trans with a used one.

Some advice about trans shops. Trans shops know they oown you and your car once they get it on their lift and the trans pulled. I carried my auto trans in to a shop in Tucson AZ and had rebuilt a couple of years back and it cost me $1000. Here in Helena MT they want between $2400 and $2600 for the same work. We only have two shops in town and they take advantage of that fact.

If you have the tools, time and a place to work, call the local tramsmission shops (forget AAMCO they're a rip off) to see if they can check it out for you for a reasonable fee if you carry the trans in. Most shops want you to bring the car in with the trans still in place. Then they say they have to pull the trans and open it up before being able to tell you what's wrong. Once you allow a trans shop to pull your trans you are stuck there and they have a licence to steal meaning they can charge whatever they want if you want your car back running. It is essentially true they have to pull most transmissions to determine what is wrong but doing so usually means you end up spending some big bucks just to find out that it is going to cost a lot more to fix it. You need to have some information about cost of repairs before you take your car anywhere.

With some basic information you have a fighting chance of not getting ripped off and will have an idea what it is going to cost. I suggest when you do your calling around, ask the trans shops the following:
    1. can I bring the trans in and they still check it out and then ask what that will cost?
    2. ask what it will cost to just have your trans rebuilt
    3. ask what it will cost for them to supply you with a replacement trans
    4. what they'd charge you to remove/reinstall the trans
    5. What warranty comes with their work.
    jjj

slomofo
    Well good news tranny is fine I replaced the pressure plate clutch and throw out bearing and works wonderful now . Also replaced the timing belt tensioners valve cover gasket oil pan gasket spark plugs wires cap and rotor and oil and filter cars running like a champ again thanks to all

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    good to hear.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

What did you find when you pulled the trans so that you knew it was the clutch/throw out bearing/pressure plate?
    jjj

slomofo
    The throw out bearing was shot so I wasn't going to chance it so I replaced them all so I wouldn't have to pull the tranny again later on down the road to put a new clutch and pressure plate...just wanted to be on the safe side

How did you make out replace the clutch??