The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 01 galant. wont start after rebuild.

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

01 galant. wont start after rebuild.

I have a 2001 Galant 3.0L v6. it broke down in august and i have been working on it during breaks from school. basically i had to rebuild the engine and fixed everything. i just recently got everything back together, but it wont start. it has spark and it is turning over. the crank sensor i new so thats fine. there is fuel because i can smell it on the spark plugs. The battery, alternator, and starter have been checked. i have ran out of ideas. so i need suggestions please.

Are all your vacuum lines correct?

are you sure the spark plug wires are in the right spot in the distributor?

Did you check for spark or you assumed you have it since the crank sensor is new?

Theres also a cam position sensor located in the distributor.

Is ti timed correctly?
    Last edited by mko; 12-17-2010 at 07:01 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    Make sure when you put the disributor back into the rear head, #1 was at TDC, and the marks/notches on the distributor were lined up when put into the head.

You said you rebuilt the engine, how much? Full tear down to bare block, top end? If you did just a top end rebuild, or even from a bare block...check your compression numbers, and possibly do a leak down test as well

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Ok all the vacum lines ar hooked up and working.

i have spark because i tested for it and i got a new sensor as well.

the timing is correct as far as i know, i checked it and it seemed to all line up right.

and for the last post im pretty sure the engine was timed if thats what your asking. and i the car had an oil leak before and it was ran too low on oil and i broke a couple hydrolic lash adjusters, so it was only top end. the heads were resurficed and cleaned. and no i never did another compression test. i tried to everything by the book but i was under a time crunch so i did as best as i could. also i never saw any notches on the distributor.

compression test that bitch and make sure the cylinders are good and not gouged. Also, check the fuel pressure and make sure you can physically see it getting fuel.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

i have not tested the compression yet but i will.

also when i installed the distibutor the i had to make sure the marks were alligned or it would not go on all the way.

In your previous statement u said u didn't see the marks on the distributor. So what is it did u line it up or not? If your not sure of something it's your job to be sure before you do more damage!!!!!

also it's very possible the distributor is 180° off. Check the timing marks at tdc then pull the distributor cap off and make sure the rotor is aimed to contact cylinder 1. It's hard to say with the amount of variables here though.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

i didnt just jam the distributor onto the camshaft, it was put into the proper slots and tightened. and yes it is possible that im off by 180 and im going to check that.