The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Couple of 5 speed swap questions

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Couple of 5 speed swap questions

My 94GS has what I think is the original F5M31 DOHC 5 speed trans. I need to replace the DOHC trans with a SOHC trans so I can get the car back on the road until I find an affordable DOHC trans. I believe the DOHC trans has different gear ratios than the SOHC trans. The other notable difference between the DOHC and the SOHC trans is the DOHC trans has a clutch damper bolted to the side of it as found on an Eclipse or Talon 5 speed..

I have three trans I am playing with. All trans are embossed with F5M31 on the top of the trans and have the following numbers stamped on a raised wide flat spot where the bell housing meets the block. These numbers are:
    a. F5M31 2VPZF RT2645 from the 94 GS; this is the trans that needs replaced
    b. F5M31 2VPXF RE7512 from ebay (original source unknown)
    c. F5M31 2VVXF SM4042 from the 95 S

QUESTIONS:
    1. Will the starter from the DOHC trans work on the SOHC trans?
    2. Will the axles from the DOHC trans work on the SOHC trans?
    3. The DOHC trans has a clutch damper in the clutch hydraulic system that the SOHC 5 speed trans does not have. Is that a problem?
    4. Will the trans speed sensor still work properly (i.e., will speedo/orodometer report correct speed/miles traveled)?
    5. What do the trans numbers tell me, if anything other than the trans should be interchangable?

I assume the answer to questions #1 and #2 is axles and starter will work as all trans are F5M31. I think question #3 is the missing clutch damper will not be a problem and have no idea about #4 and #5.
    Last edited by eksz; 12-20-2010 at 11:33 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    1 - it should. the flywheels and starters should be identical. i'm not 100% sure though. i'd say 98% lol
    2 - yes.
    3 - no. you should ditch it anyways. f*** that thing. get a SS clutchline, direct from master to slave, and you will love it.
    4 - yes, it measures speed at the differential ring gear, which is going to be the same since it's seperate from the individual drive gears.
    5 - no idea. never knew them.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

starter and flywheels are the same
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread