The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No sound in speakers, but subs work.

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Icon9 No sound in speakers, but subs work.

So I managed to fix a previous problem I had a few days ago (interior light fuse kept blowing) and since then my deck, speakers, and subs have been working just fine. Today while driving I lost sound to all my speakers. The subs still work and was continuing to thump. I turned off my deck and turned it back on, nothing. I unhooked my ipod and tried to use a cd, nothing.

I still get power to my deck so I don't think its a fuse problem. Maybe something internal on the deck? Figured I'd ask you guys here and see if anyone could help me out. Sucks cause I just fixed the other problem and now I'm back to this.

Deck: Pioneer deh p470mp
    Amp: alpine mrp m500

Check your fuse for the amp, which connects to the battrey. I have an circuit amp which pops out and speakers cut off, yet the subs work till i reset the terminal. Generually its located on the power wire which goes to the cars battrey under your hood, it might be in an plastic capsule ------(FUSE)------
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Sorry, I wasn't really being specific but the amp only deals with the subs. The speakers are not hooked up to the amp at all. They go directly to the deck.

Ok, I think I know your issue. But first will the radio play back thru the speakers if you turn it off for a while?

The issue I had in my car was the radio sits in one of the hotest places possiable. And there isnt much cold air flow to cool it down. So it triggers the amp in the radio to shut down. The subs will still play because they run off of a low frequency channel.

My fix...I bought a computer fan. Rigged up a mount and turned it directly onto the back of the radio. I wired it up to a 12 volt wire that only turns on when the key is turned on so the radio plays.

I have never had an issue since.

That's a good idea, but I left my car cooling while I was at work and when I came back to my car to go home the problem was still there. I checked the fuse behind the deck and it is still intact and good.

Another thing is even if one of any of the speaker wires are grounding out it can cause all of them to shut down. I would start behind the radio and check the wiring harness then i would go to the speakers them selves. If that still doesnt fix them I would then follow the wires to make sure one isnt causing a short.

Other then that. It is also possiable if the speakers worked before and maybe you did over heat the unit, the unit is now fried. I did that once before finding out my unit was getting to hot.

good luck

To be honest I'm starting to think its internal on the deck it self... Ugh, Ive had nothing but a string of bad luck on my galants electrical after putting in my system.

How hot or warm does the face of your deck get while playing or have you noticed how warm a CD is once you take it out from playing? If they seem to be really warm or hot, then o would guess you over heated the deck. And then yes it is probably internal.

It's kind of hard to tell what may be wrong without seeing or hearing it in person.

I don't use CD's often anymore but yeah they do come out warm. One thing I do notice is when i turn on my deck I hear a pop from the back left sub (the stock one that is facing up by the brake light). The popping happens every time I turn it on so I'm gonna have to look into that. Might be something going on over there. Also, I noticed that i turn my deck up all the way and I don't hear any hissing from the speakers like you normally would when you turn it up and nothing is playing. That leads me to believe that it is either shorting out somewhere or an internal deck component is done for. Will look into things and report back here. Thanks again for your help.

Problem solved.
    My amp wasn't grounded correctly. Fixed it by making a new hole in the body and using a screw with a metal washer to ensure it gets full metal contact.
    Thanks everyone for the help!