The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sub Question

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Coolest newb eva!

Sub Question

OK, so I gotta start by saying I'm not trying to create a street-poundin' system. I actually think the stock radio (which I believe is 34 or 40W) sounds pretty good when you tune it right.

I'm planning to get a newer radio for the car, and I'd like to add a sub to it.
    I have an old sub from a computer system (not that cheap stuff, it was a Klipsch Promedia 500W 5.1 system), and after taking it apart, realized it has two 100W 8" speakers in it.

My question is, well questions are:

Can I hook them up to a small amp (nothing too powerful, maybe 2-300W) with an aftermarket HU?

Or can I attach them to the rear speakers with a crossover while using the stock radio?

I test connected it to the car and it just sounded like plain and dull speakers, but that was without anything.

2 - 300 watts wont be a street pounding system! LOL. It may sound good, dont get me wrong, but it wont be real hard hitting. You are going to blow that computer speaker easily....its not made for what you are trying to do. If you want a simpe setup, replace the speakers in the rear deck with a good set of 6x9's (with an amp) and possibly replace the door speakers. You will get the best sound that way and it wont break the bank. Most of them fit in the stock place too with minimal effort and so you can keep the stock look with upgraded performance. Check mine I just replaced... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=43999
    Good luck

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Coolest newb eva!
    LOL I don't want a pounding system!! Just some extra bump lol. I forgot to mention there are already aftermarket speakers in the car. The PO removed the sound system before I bought the car but left the speakers. I'm planning to get a HU hooked up to the 4 speakers, and a small amp with a subwoofer. Thanks!

well for a small sub i'd say go no smaller than a 10" sub. You'll loose an 8" in that trunk and then with it being designed for a computer setup it wont hold much power or give you the extra bump you are looking for.

Coolest newb eva!
    Ahh I see. If I mounted the sub on the rear deck by drilling a hole or something, would it be more effective? I know most stock subs are like that in cars.

yeah but most subs in cars are both larger than 8" and they are designed to be in a car. The magnet is larger and they are more powerful. You could try it, but I really think the desired effect wont be there

It sounds like you'd be better off hooking up a new head unit to the speakers that are already in there. As for the sub if your looking for something more subtle that will just sound nice rather than pound why not look into an active bass tube? they have the amp and wiring already done and if you get one with a passive sub in the other end they sound quite good

Coolest newb eva!
    Hmm, I guess I'll look into that. By the way, I've always wanted to have the stock Infinity system in my car, and there's a whole set at the junkyard. Does anybody know how good it sounds?

I think It's good enough for the front of the car but if your adding a sub you may need to change the rears to something with a little more power to keep it all balanced