The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: engine grinding feel/sound

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

engine grinding feel/sound

well this issues have been there for a while, but since the car has been on my garage for the last almost 2 yrs and just got repaired i completly had forgotten abouth the issue. when i accelerate from a stand still the engines grinds with all the cars body it makes this grindin sound it feels horrible. its there till i hit 4k rpms after that all the grinding and vibrations are gone. all this started when i replaced my engine mounts a few years ago with some cheap ebay ones. do you guys think the cheap engine mounts are the couse and i should go get original mounts?? btw i also removed balance shaft and the grinding was there before i did the removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker96 View Post
    well this issues have been there for a while, but since the car has been on my garage for the last almost 2 yrs and just got repaired i completly had forgotten abouth the issue. when i accelerate from a stand still the engines grinds with all the cars body it makes this grindin sound it feels horrible. its there till i hit 4k rpms after that all the grinding and vibrations are gone. all this started when i replaced my engine mounts a few years ago with some cheap ebay ones. do you guys think the cheap engine mounts are the couse and i should go get original mounts?? btw i also removed balance shaft and the grinding was there before i did the removal.
    Engine mounts shouldn't ever cause grinding sounds. At most, a bad mount will just shake the car to pieces upon acceleration from a stop.

Is your car a manual or automatic? If manual, then I would suspect that one or more of the thrust bearings inside the transmission case have gone out. If your car is a manual, does the sound go away if you are completely stopped in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed all the way?
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear