The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 02 Sensor Replacement?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    nosaints9

02 Sensor Replacement?

A couple of months ago, my Galant stalled out and the check engine light came on. The dealership told me that there was a problem with the 02 sensor. I took it to AutoZone to verify the exact issue and I was given a P0135 code. The dealership wants $300 to fix this. Can anyone tell me which sensors this code refers to and the locations of them? I'd like to replace the problem sensors myself.

the P0135 code is bank 1 sensor 1 which should be in the exhaust manifold.do you have 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

nosaints9
    Thanks! I have a 4 cylinder. Are there any photos or diagrams available to show me the exact location? I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up when I do replace it.

i dont see any on here.there isnt really anything to screw up there is a special socket for removing the o2 sensor.but you can probably get off with a wrench.

Experienced TGC Member
    You can rent the o2 sensor socket and a breaker bar from autozone. Forgot how much they charge though. It isn't hard at all. Just disconnect the sensor, put on the o2 sensor socket with breaker bar attached and turn counter clockwise. If I have to tell you how to reinstall then you shouldn't be working on your car lol. Good luck
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4 View Post
    You can rent the o2 sensor socket and a breaker bar from autozone. Forgot how much they charge though. It isn't hard at all. Just disconnect the sensor, put on the o2 sensor socket with breaker bar attached and turn counter clockwise. If I have to tell you how to reinstall then you shouldn't be working on your car lol. Good luck
    i wasnt sure if you could rent the tool for it.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    i wasnt sure if you could rent the tool for it.
    It actually comes out to be a free rental. You pay full price for it and when you return it they give you all your money back. If you decide to keep it then you already paid for it lol.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

nosaints9
    How many are there? From a small inspection I spotted 4 under the hood...two immediately visible on the top of the manifold and two more it seems below the car. In the 2005, would Bank 1 Sensor 1 be the one on the right top (me facing the windshield)?

hey did you figure this out? I know I have to replace one and I was told that in order to get to it they were going to have to remove the entire intake manifold for this . . . plus $800 . . . however .. . i know that the sensor is about $120 cuz I actually bought it . . . but I wasn't completely sure about the locations . . .

so anyone have any ideas of the bank/sensor locations?

this would be very helpful since I left my 9G in orlando w a check engine light on and thats the only apparent reason . . . and i wanna fix it before i drive from Orlando to VA.

4cly b1s1 is the p/s top o2 sensor. V6 its the rear manifold top sensor.

Sensor O2 easy to replace. It is necessary to remove thermal protection. Unhook the pins of the sensor. Unscrew the sensors. Replace the sensors new.