The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stuck Timing Belt Sprocket Bolt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

Stuck Timing Belt Sprocket Bolt

So I went to replace my timing belt and well the bolt is stuck. I had a 3ft. breaker bar on it and only managed to damage the hole that is used with the special tool that I don't have to keep the sprocket from turning. Any ideas on how to break it loose and to change the timing belt. I'd rather not return all the belts. They need to be replaced.

did you try putting the breaker bar against the body and cranking the engine over a couple times.that usually works.

No I read that is a possibility. I am just afraid I'll break the bolt. Should I heat it up with a torch and then try and crank it over?

yeah you can try that.

did you try a impact gun on it too?

Dont have a impact gun available to me. All I had was the breaker bar. Didn't work very well because I couldn't secure the sprocket so it would stop spinning when I tried to loosen bolt.

Side note. Should I replace my water pump while I have it all torn apart?

I think you might be able to rent one from autozone

Yes! Replace it now
    -Andrew

Well what is a way to secure the sprocket? If I could secure that I could use the breaker bar. Though I'm tempted to try turning the engine over. I'm am just a bit scared I'll break something.

put it against the wheelwell and just crank it but only crank it for a couple of seconds

I was thinking of letting it kinda slam into the the ground maybe 6 inches off the ground to kinda jolt it loose? Bad idea or no?

Side note: Autozone replacement waterpump ok brand?

i would try the wheelwell first so it wont move.autozone waterpump is a ok brand but other people would recommend dealer parts.

you want even pressure on it others wise it could break.

Gotcha good point about the even pressure. What about heating it up a bit before cranking?

Well I'm getting decent belts, new pulleys. The new pump is only 32.99 right now at autozone. Which is pretty good price. Hard to pass up.

yeah try and heat it up until it is orange and put it against the wheelwell and then crank it over for a couple seconds and see if it broke loose

if you cant break it free by hand what makes you think the starter will break it free? Impact gun or start hitting the gym!

Experienced TGC Member
    You will likely need to heat up the crankshaft pulley bolt a bit with a torch. You can try using the break bar after it has been heated, but ultimately the heat and Impact combination will work.

Both the 3.0L and 3.8L engines I have removed the stuff on required a lot of heat from a torch and a 1/2" impact gun

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Thanks for all the advice, I'll give it a go this weekend hopefully. Maybe take over someone's garage this weekend that has an impact gun to ease the process. Plus I'm not sure if my belt will get here in time. That will be the determining factor. Returning my Autozone belts and ordered some Gates belts. Read some about the Autozone belts and consensus was they aren't too hot a choice at least for replacement Timing, so went and replaced all with Gates.

yeah i have heard people saying to go with mitsubishi timing belts or gates because people have used the autoparts belts and they cracked at 20,000 miles.

Not sure this works on an A/T but on an M/T you can just put the car in gear and have someone step on the brakes.

Otherwise you can take a straight section of sturdy steel, drill a couple holes in it for bolts to go through and use that as a pulley stop. Just have one end against the ground and the bolts going into the holes on the pulley. You might need to cut a little relief section for the center bolt.

I've found that on really tight stuff I have better luck with a long breaker bar than I do with an impact. I'm just using a Dewalt 18v cordless though.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Not sure this works on an A/T but on an M/T you can just put the car in gear and have someone step on the brakes.

Otherwise you can take a straight section of sturdy steel, drill a couple holes in it for bolts to go through and use that as a pulley stop. Just have one end against the ground and the bolts going into the holes on the pulley. You might need to cut a little relief section for the center bolt.

I've found that on really tight stuff I have better luck with a long breaker bar than I do with an impact. I'm just using a Dewalt 18v cordless though.
    you have some good ideas there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast