The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can I still use this head gasket, or will it fail?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Can I still use this head gasket, or will it fail?

Hey guys,

So I know that I'm on a Galant forum, but I have a really important question about a head gasket change-out I'm doing on a 1989 Honda Accord DX 4cyl 2.0L carbuerated engine. Even though it's not a Galant, you guys are car people and I value your opinions.

So I'm changing the head gasket out for this 21-year-old car. I ordered a new head gasket from Felpro. It's MLS. The gasket surfaces have been prepped and the block is square. Unfortunately, this car was designed by complete idiots, and the only way to remove the cylinder head requires removing both the intake manifold and exhaust manifold still bolted on. I really feel like this car is an embarrassment to Japanese build quality.

I had the gasket on the engine block. As I was lowering the cylinder head (with exhaust and intake manifolds bolted up), it didn't seat down correctly on the engine block. I lifted the head back off, and discovered that one of the cylinder head bolt guides (it's a hollow steel shim that the head bolts go through, and there are 4 of them that protrude out from the head) had punctured the top layer of the gasket. The puncture isn't actually touching a water jacket, oil passage, fire ring, or the gasket edge.

I really don't want to go throw another $50 for another cheaply-made felpro gasket, just so I accidentally lower the 150lb head incorrectly and break it again. Can I get away with using the gasket I have? Can I just RTV that one area on the gasket? or do I have to buy another one? I don't want to re-assemble the whole thing just to find out that it's blown out again.

Sorry it's so lengthy, and thanks for your suggestions in advance!
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 01-04-2011 at 03:53 AM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Shame on you using the "H" word here. Send a pic so we can pick on you some more. No really send a good pic so we can assess. I like to assemble with at least the intake pre-mounted it really is a contientous 2 person job.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Shame on you using the "H" word here. Send a pic so we can pick on you some more. No really send a good pic so we can assess. I like to assemble with at least the intake pre-mounted it really is a contientous 2 person job.
    It definitely is a two-person job, as I have now learned the hard way. I'm going to bed for the night, but tomorrow I will pull the head off (I didn't even bother torquing the head bolts). I'll pull the gasket out and photograph it. Thanks for your quick response!
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

ok just don't use rtv its fine for some things just not a head gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    ok just don't use rtv its fine for some things just not a head gasket.
    I'm just going to cough up another $41 and get a new one. I'm not taking any chances with this one. I will still photograph the old one though.