The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ignition lock cylinder

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Ignition lock cylinder

Guys, got a tough one: Woke up yesterday to find that my primary and backup ignition key would not turn ignition cylinder. Steering wheel was not locked, already checked. I mean, it won't rotate at all, and I didn't notice anything leading up to this point (always turned fine, no issues whatsoever). To me, that means that the neutral/park safety switches are NOT a part of the problem - correct? That leads me to believe the tumbler(s) crapped out. Downloaded the manual here and found out the key should be inserted and turned to ACC to pull the lock cylinder out...problem is, I can't. I have new cylinder on order from RockAuto, should arrive early next week. A guy here at work said, "put a screwdriver in there and turn hard". Any pointers here? Appreciate it, Mike

On, and it's an '03 4 cylinder if it matters (and non-immobilizing, I believe).

Spray the cylinder with tri-flow(locksmith trick), then insert key wiggle it around in and out.

Ive removed and disassembled the tumbler before. Spraying it with a little wd40 might do the trick. The key mechanism is pretty simple design. Maybe one of the plates isnt sliding into place and preventing the key from turning.

You can still remove the entire ignition switch and play with the lock off the car. The ignition switch are held on by 2 safety screws that dont have a head on them to use a screwdriver or a socket. you just have to take a flathead screw driver and a hammer and hit it counter clock wise to back out the screws. Theyre not on there too tight.

You guys get a knuckle fist bum (or whateever it's called) from me!!! It took half a can of WD to do it, but it DID turn! Sprayed it after turning the key several times, kept spraying, lots of crap came out...kinda like an enema for a lock, LOL. Got some graphite to shake in after WD dries out a little. Thanks again, Mike

the stuff that was coming out might be the greese that is normally inside the tumbler to help the plates slide up and down. The lock might dry out without the greese.

It might be a good idea to take it apart to grease it or replace it. If all you do to it is soak it in WD40, it will freeze again at some point. Back when I was a locksmith I ran into this a lot.
    Chill the fuck up!